Thank you for your reply's. The last assortment of plants I tried was not defined well and I assume that the specific plants changed with stock levels. The assortment was named hardy low light plants and had this statement "plant assortment contains different plants, with some grouped for best effect. (EXAMPLE: two bunch plants of same variety)The plants in all assortments contain a beautiful variety of bunch plants, swords, crypts, etc." I have not learned the names of all the plants but I did look up a couple and I had java ferns and several types of anubias. I lost about a third of the plants last time in the first several days as they seemed to melt away. I did not have any of the remaining plants that seemed to do better or worse. The only notes I can offer in terms of what happened. 1. Several plants did product new leaves and in all cases these developed a dark brown edge. 2. When I pulled the onion plants I noted that the roots had developed well. 3. The stem plants did not develop roots at all.
I had several different types of algae. Most prevalent was BGA which attacked everything. I also had a bright green stringy algae which could have been one of several different types I looked at on the internet. This attached mostly to the glass but also to plants and rocks. The strings would grow to six inches in 3/4 days and completely cover the glass. I had a little green spot algae. And I had my normal darker green algae which over a period of a month or so will form a thin coating on the glass.
Maybe the startup plan should be low light, just one of my T5HO bulbs on for 8 hours. No CO2, and some food. This assumes low light type plants.