Big help needed plz!! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
jbrady33, how much light is over that tank? How many plants did you start out with? Bet you started with more plants and less light!

pigeonfood, suspect you have more light than the plants can use and the little bit of food you are giving them isn't enough for them, they are burning up and starving. The Excel dosing is keeping away algae.

Try adding more plants of the sort that does best for you, continue the once a week EI dose and Excel AND most important - try disabling one of the bulbs over your tank or shade the tank with some window screening. If that helps then you are on the right track. Try the DIY CO2 and leave the tank with the lower lighting at least for a while.

Some apons go dormant and sprout again. I had one that survived for 3-4 years under a very old very dim bulb with no reflector on the fixture. Perhaps yours are going dormant. A faint hope but sword plants are grown in air and those air leaves die underwater. Air leaves have long petioles and short blades, water leaves have short petioles and long leaves. Doesn't look the case to me though, those look like water leaves.
I changed my substrate to the plant kind (ecocomplete), would root tabs be useful even though i'm using plant soil? Does it matter what bulb should I disconnect? I was dosing 2ml of excel and 1ml EI dose would this be suffient? Also if i use diy co2 and excel it wont be overbearing to my fish, don't wanna kill them with co2 poisoning.
What plants should i obtain with just one bulb in use?
One more thing..the more plants i have, would it be ok to turn the other bulb back on, if your saying the lighting is their food, i'm guessing more light would need to be in use for all the plants to benefit (assuming I have alot of plants)? correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also on the diy co2...with my tank and amount of plants, im guessing like one bubble every 5 seconds are something like that?

I appreciate everyone's help btw
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think your having the same issue I experienced, too much light. Try getting rid of one if the bulbs and see how the plants react. I'm def no expert but I had too much HO light and my tank and my plants couldn't keep up. Do you have any algae problems?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
I think your having the same issue I experienced, too much light. Try getting rid of one of the bulbs and see how the plants react. I'm def no expert but I had too much HO light and my tank and my plants couldn't keep up. Do you have any algae problems?
I had a little on the back and spotted on the glass, nothing too bad.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cut out one of the bulbs and see what happens after a week or so.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
Cut out one of the bulbs and see what happens after a week or so.
Both bulbs are different, does it matter which one i shut off?
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
jbrady33, how much light is over that tank? How many plants did you start out with? Bet you started with more plants and less light!
Not really - did a lot of research on how much light I could push without C02 before I started. Haven't changed any equipment, but that is a 30" Finnex Fugeray LED that I modified to fit under the standard tube hood. It has about the same PAR readings as a Coralife T5HO 2 bulb fixture (according to Hoppy's charts). In the beginning I considered a more powerful LED and shading it with window screen, but the 30" Ray2 wasn't available then.

Day one planting on the same tank (July 2012):

Don't have a picture from the past few weeks yet, basically every month or 2 the tall stuff reaches the surface and shades the low stuff too much, I have to cut the tall stems and replant the tops. Have actually removed some species that either didn't do well or didn't like the looks of (grew fine, but wasn't thrilled with water sprite's growth pattern). Overall plant mass is up from when I started (due to growth of the stuff that is doing well)
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have to admit scanning some of the posts but what do you know about your source water?
Is the tap central suppy or well water?
Any water conditioners used?
Do you know the hardness? (mineral content?)

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Eco-complete does still require ferts and root tabs as it has no nutrients of its own.

Why use it then? Lightweight and easy for roots to grow, porus and absorbs ferts for the roots to slowly pull out
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Adding ferts to the water column plants will grow stuck in inert sand, under poor or excess light conditions with algae forming under nearly all conditions.

For everything to simply wither and melt it's more drastic AND simple, something is being missed beyond what's been the focus so far.

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
For everything to simply wither and melt it's more drastic AND simple, something is being missed beyond what's been the focus so far.
+1

Do check your water. If you do not have a test kit, take a sample to any fish store (PetSmart/Petco/LFS) to be tested within 30 mins (gH, kH, pH, etc). Find your water district's annual water report for more information. The more we know, the less guesswork.

Now, I have exactly the same tank and it's been a pain for ~7 years. After doing almost everything I could think of, I am still not happy with it: I cannot grow vals, crypts, water wisteria and a lot of other plants. The only plants that seem to survive are Java Fern, H. tenellus, Creeping Charlie, L. sessiflora, and Ludwidgia repens (just barely). And I grow some pretty demanding plants in my other tanks. And this guy sits right next to my computer, so, I'm seeing it day in and day out.

IMHO, the biggest problem with that tank is circulation: I just cannot get it right. I started with Eheim 2026 with the spray bar in all locations you can think of. I'm currently on Eheim 2075 with Koralia 425 and the tank is getting better. I will replace the Koralia with another canister filter.

The tank seems to be at its peak when it's heavily over-populated and over-planted with no co2 and LeafZone ~ once per week and a bubble wand at night. The more I 'over-think' this tank the worse it gets. I run that tank with no co2 for ~ 5 years and now with co2 for 2 years. The light has not changed: it's Coralife 2 x 65w CFL. Substrate is Flourite. Lighting period is 12 hrs. I currently dose EI-light as in all my other tanks. About 6 months ago I get fed up and just let the tank be: no water changes, no trimming, no cleaning for over 3 months. I was just topping off water and continued to dose ferts. The tank thrived, the fish were the happiest ever, the plants covered 150% of the tank and 0 of any algae.

The reason for the long-winded post is a) you are not alone b) that tank's shape is PITA. Sorry if this is of little help. Let's get your water numbers and go from there.

The first picture is the tank over-planted, no co2, no dosing, except LeafZone.

The tank 2 month ago with co2 and EI. I liked the old tank better

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did my water change today and started using ferts again to try and get the ball rolling. I added root tabs and I does 2ml excel, 1ml comp and 1ml ei dose. I'm in the process of making my DIY co2.
I live in the city and found my local water quality chart but I didn't know what I was looking for. This is the link to it:
http://www.waterone.org/Adobe%20File...nualReport.pdf
I'll go check my pH now..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode