Help!!! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

go for the shrimp/snail thing (i did nerite so they wouldn't breed) ... people here are great..
--
honestly my shrimp tank is my easiest tank (my betta are cute but for some reason they keep getting sick .. no idea why either) and other then when i gassed my shrimp its been easy - but they dies stoned and happy
--
you have the expensive stuff already (the tank/heater/filter) from there it's easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You want champagne on a beer budget! For now, accept the beer budget and you can still have a great RCS tank, with the shrimp being the priority rather than the plants.

Get some driftwood and some moss (any kind, doesn't matter) and use the lights you have. If a nice piece or two of driftwood is too much, get a couple of pieces of cholla wood and tie the moss to that. RCS will need mostly great water quality and something to rummage through, hang on to and hide in. They will be happy with that.

As finances improve, you can start to make improvements a little at a time.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snpype2live View Post
yea i get what your saying and if i had a disposible income i would but right now im out of work and this is just not a trial and error situation cant waste the small (limitable( budget that i have for this tank
drop the attitude and do some research on your own. there is a ton of info on here and elsewhere. there is zero point in getting upset with others because they're unwilling/unable to provide everything on a silver platter.

you want too much for what you've got, how is that anyone's fault but your own?

here's my advice, for someone with two tanks an no budget, forget about a tank. focus on one. otherwise you'll never be happy and it'll be the forum's fault.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Snpype2live
Scapegoat I wasn't being rude to anyone or having attitude, but I'm bout to with you.So please leave my thread and stay off of any future ones I have please and thanks. As far as my other tank it is fully complete I just have regular maintenance on it. Sue D I know that what I wanted was kinda expensive, but I had everything except the dirt and the plants and fish. I was just trying to get help on a dirted tank. Which I have moved away from that idea and going with the Crystal Red Shrimp tank with some moss on some zebra rocks. Thank you Iaqu. That is what I want now is a shrimp/ snail tank. Sorry to hear about your shrimp and betta's though.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sue D I know that what I wanted was kinda expensive, but I had everything except the dirt and the plants and fish. I was just trying to get help on a dirted tank. Which I have moved away from that idea and going with the Crystal Red Shrimp tank with some moss on some zebra rocks. Thank you Iaqu. That is what I want now is a shrimp/ snail tank. Sorry to hear about your shrimp and betta's though.
Crystal Red Shrimp aren't really beginner shrimp. Most people start with Neos and move on from there. You should look at this: Link

You should also check out the Shrimp and other Invertebrates forum to learn more about shrimp.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, okay well that just like the only shrimp I can find and those are still 50 miles away. What would be a good beginner shrimp, and I am gonna check out links thanks.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

I would get red cherry shrimp from the S/S section of this forum: they are cute, they are red, they bread like roaches, and they don't need supper dupper care. I started with about 20 in a 12g tank and had to start giving them away to local friends. Eventually my betas cleaned them out.

So, from my perspective:
- add more sand to about 1 1/2" - 2" depth
- add rocks and wood to your liking
- start to cycle the tank
- hit me up on the plants
- add a fine mesh sponge/prefilter on the intake to keep the shimp out of the filter
- keep checking RAOK and S/S forums for shrimp
- enjoy

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks ovt i think that is what im going to do but can i start cycling with only the sand i got for now cause i wont be able to go to lfs for atleast another week
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have an established tank (I think you said you did?) you can just transfer over some fitler media and not worry about cycling.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have an established tank, unfortunately it's a bio-wheel so short of cutting up my bio-wheel. I don't think I could transfer any media.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I also need some help with lights to, because I keep getting different answers when I look up what high light or low light is.
Two 13W 6500K CFLs in an incandescent hood, over a 10G:

Without expensive test equipment that few have to give exact figures, light is subjective; and that's why you get different answers. I tend to classify lighting more by how plants behave, since they produce better guesses than I can. And they tell me this is medium lighting.

Other details:

* Mostly inert substrate.
* Ferts include iron, traces, potassium. I mix my own liquids from dry ferts. Commercial liquid ferts work just as well, so long as you provide enough of all these nutrients.
* I do not dose nitrogen or phosphorus. No need. They are supplied in excess by fish food/poop, with the tank stocked to near traditional capacity, and daily feedings.
* Excel. It's a must for this lighting level to supply carbon, unless you have DIY/pressurized CO2 or a dirt substrate.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you DarkCobra
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laqu View Post
but they dies stoned and happy
actually they slowly suffocated. probably a really horrible way to die.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Scapegoat I wasn't being rude to anyone or having attitude, but I'm bout to with you.

you were bring rude, being expectant of others. you're continuing to be rude as well. however, there was no reason for me to point that out.

There is a lot of information on this site, spread around. do a little reading, do a lot of reading actually! ask more specific questions. And don't get pissy when you don't hear what you want to hear. Chillax
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm i seem to be having a problem with my digital thermometer it says my tank is at 73 degrees fairenheight . but my tetra 10-30 heater is supposed to keep it at 78. so i dont know if it is my thermometer (i got of ebay for a $1) or the 20 dollar heater i have brought back 3 times

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode