Help!!! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Snpype2live
well right now i going with a crs tank but i gotta figure out the plant part first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

like i said extreme budget on this tank atm
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unfortunatly i have decided to scrap the hole planted idea i cant get any good consistent help any where on what i should do but thanks to all that have tried i think im just going to do a simple rock tank with some shrimp got any where in a planted forum for a idea like that lol??
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 AM
Algae Grower

Why not just do it? If it doesnt work, no biggie, try something else. There are a million and one ways really do to a planted tank.

I am lazy with my tanks, no dosing, no c02, very very minimal pruning....all are dirt capped with sand. Simple plants, low lights and thats it. Some plants do better than others but its trial and error and thats the fun of it.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea i get what your saying and if i had a disposible income i would but right now im out of work and this is just not a trial and error situation cant waste the small (limitable( budget that i have for this tank
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

How about this: get the hardware figured out: substrate (pond filter sand is cheap), looks like you already have a heater and a filter and some lights. Pick some stones that you like - make sure they are aquarium safe, some wood if you like.

Once that is in place, watch RAOK section of this site - lots of plants there for just ~$7 in shipping.

Or PM me a picture once the tank is ready and I'm sure I can send you enough plants to fill your 10g on the cheap.

Having something nice and interesting to work on (like your 10g) keeps all of us going and sane in this life ...

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

tank as of now. sometime later this week i will be getting some rocks thanks we gonna take this slow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1228121933.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	60344  

post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Try the Beginner Tank link...on this forum... http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post1960797

Scroll down and under the different headings there are some links to some great discussions. There is a link in there by Homer_Simpson on low light plants that are easier to grow. I found this link to be helpful...also you could do a search on this Forum for threads on low light and easy plants..and there is also a Low-Tech Tank discussion section on this forum.

You can also Google aquarium plants low light or something like that.

Hope this helps.

"Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You pretty much already have a good start. If you are on a tight budget, try the RAOK here, you'll get plenty of good plants for less $.

Also, try Petco when they discount their old plants in a bag (50% off). I bought a bag of Crypt Wendtii green that was all scraggly and brown planted it in my Evolve 8 (see sig) dirt tank and it bounced back and it's a nice jungle now

40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

Moss on rocks would be fairly cheap and add color and interest to your tank. The shrimp would appreciate it too. I would take OVT up on the offer of RAOK plants.

Before adding any livestock, your tank needs to be cycled. If you haven't already started, I suggest getting started as it will take several weeks. A fishless cycle with pure ammonia is cheap. I bought pure ammonia from Ace Hardware for under $2. I've heard that Walmart also carries it. Just make sure it's pure, with no additives. Read the ingredients. Shake the bottle, if it bubbles/foams, it's not pure. Water testing kits tend to be pricey, but most fish stores will test your water for free (I know that PetCo and Petsmart do).

Best of luck with your tank. Keep us up to date on your progress.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Algae Grower

alternatives to shrimp

I think you could keep snails with the shrimp, but I'm not certain. A bit of research would answer that question.

If you change your mind about the shrimp, you might consider a betta. I think that most people would agree that 10 gallons would suit a betta. They are inexpensive and come in a vast variety of colors. Plus, you'd be doing a good deed by rescuing one from those horrid tupperware prisons.

A couple of guppies might work. I'll let other chime in on whether they are appropriate for 10 gallons. If you go the guppy route, make sure you do only males or only females. Otherwise your guppy population will quickly explode.

You'll still need to cycle the tank before adding anything. See my previous post.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you might want to add a bit more sand...i find in my tanks that have less than an inch of substrate in areas are a real "pita" to keep the plants from floating away. If you want to stay on budget a nice rock as focal point (I get mine free at the local landscape rock co.), They actually let me wander the yard searching for rocks and then when I only pick a couple they let me just have them. Then put some moss on it (offered RAOK's here are cheaper or local plant growers then the LFS usually and way better quality). Shrimp will love the moss and rock. Once your tank has really "settled in" shrimp will probably be breeding by this point and possibly you can start selling them to make enough to finance more plants or fish. maybe a couple Oto's instead of cory's would work and there are some really nice micro rasboras that would do well with the shrimp if you want to add more fish.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've found that planted tanks rarely turn out exactly how you plan them - alot of it is trial and error and since plants are living, growing, reproducing beings in their own right they don't always behave the way you'd like or expect. If you're on a budget then get your hardscape settled, get the tank cycled, get your livestock, and as time and money permits get plants you'd like to try and see how they do. It's good to have a plan and an overall idea of what you'd like your tank to look like, but if you're too rigid in your expectations then you're setting yourself up for disappoinment - especially when you're first starting out.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay thanks I'm getting some great help now. So if I went with just sand as the substrate, what exactly would I need to do to supplement their needs? I also need some help with lights to, because I keep getting different answers when I look up what high light or low light is. I have a 10 gallon (lol ya'll already know this). I have just the regular old fashion incandescent hood, but I replaced the bulbs with 2, 13 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. They say 60 watt incandescent replacements on package, and they are 6500k light temp. They are only about half an inch above the water as I like the look of a FULL tank cant stand the glare that comes in the gap between water and light. As far as the fish less cycle, I am probably going to start it tonight. I know how to do it well because I have had to do it in my 29 gallon marine-land community tank and the 20 gallon I had that exploded on the seams (this the reason I'm on a budget it kinda fried some stuff in moms house that I have to replace). I have all the proper equipment I think. I have pure ammonia that doesn't bubble when shaken (same bottle I used for both other tanks and the 29 doing fine for a year now) and an Api Master test kit.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Algae Grower

Deffinlty avoid plecos!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode