In defense of primary colored ceramic decorations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking In defense of primary colored ceramic decorations

So I've noticed a not so subtle trend in this community of ragging on decor. Even very nice decor that fits perfectly within a well thought-out theme gets a few barbs from the planted tank purists.

Well, in my tank I have A LOT of junk:

Here's why. I've had fish tanks off and on my whole life. Now that my kids (see below) are 3 and 5 years old, I wanted to have an aquarium that they could participate in. I'm mostly interested in the plants, my wife the fish. But the kids get very excited about the decor. When we go to the LFS they beg and plead for a new decoration and I let them get whatever they want.

At first my daughter got a soccer ball and my son a police care. Since then we've added a stegosaurus, some seashells, a rainbow, and a treasure chest.

No, it isn't going to win any aquascaping awards, but it keeps the whole family involved. And I like that. Perhaps in the future I'll have a separate tank and I will go au naturel... and all natural.

In the meantime, I just felt the need to preemptively explain the stuff at the bottom of my tank before the jabs come. :

Last edited by NateBW; 02-18-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well said, my friend.

RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What darling kids! All that ever matters is if the inhabitants of the tank are healthy & cared for, and if the owners of the tank enjoy it. Frankly, I think anything that gets kids involved in hobbies is wonderful. Heck. I'm a grown up and I want to build a Hobbit neighborhood! LOL

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Planted Member

You are "The #1 Dad!"
Awesome!

"Semper Fi"
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

Word!!! My 2 and 4 year olds name the tank critters. So what if a male betta gets called Dory?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ah, the Carnegie Collection Stegosaurus. Collecting dinosaur toys/figures is my other hobby so I would know haha. Never thought about mixing the two hobbies together like that.

It's a nice thing you're doing for your kids. I don't know if I could ever allow such things in one of my tanks.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Aw, I bet you would - even if it meant setting up a tank designated for just such a thing. The delight on the children's faces as they enjoy their would be worth it!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, all.

@Axel, that's funny. We live about 15 minutes from Dinosaur World and have annual passes. My daughter celebrated her last birthday there. I'm not knowledgeable about dino toys/figures, but the stego is my daughter's favorite dino so we picked this one up during one of our trips to put in the thank. I always think how small its head is.

Self-caffeinated goofball from Tampa, FL. My tank.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great Post! I love the stegosaurus btw. Maybe once they get a little older they'll be asking to pick out pieces of driftwood
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

"Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved.
The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these." ~ Susan B. Anthony
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank I had in Chicago, before we moved to Florida and before we had kids, was very simple and very natural... dark gravel, driftwood, tons of moss. It took me about 4 years to get it exactly how I liked it. It was so great. We also did a little breeding then.

But now it is more about interaction and education with the whole family. It is also great, but the tank looks totally different.

Self-caffeinated goofball from Tampa, FL. My tank.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Algae Grower

TOTALLY understand!!!

My daughters tank has a castle, a unicorrn and a random tiara (that is bigger than both the castle and unicorn??)

My son's - well the tank including all plants and fish was free on CL. I figured I would evenutally rescape it. Well, we had a huge die off (not sure what happened sadly, just came up one nigh and every fish and shrimp was dead...the perils of aquariums). I just recently decided to get it going again. Dumped all the neon gravel it came with but kept the plants. My son (5) was actually stoked about the piece of driftwood he picked out. He has not yet mentioned the pirate ship and cave that I have not put back in yet...if he notices well, its his tank, I will make room for them

I figure what better way to start the next generation of hobbyist. You have to cater it to personal likes and dislikes and keep it fun
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Planted Member

Anything that generates that kind of smile on the face of a child can go into that family's tank. Period. (I'm lucky - my granddaughter, a fan of "Bubbleguppies" smiles like that just because there are guppies in my tank!

~Bruce, also a fan of dinosaurs and models of them...
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

LOL Good for you!

My kids beg like crazy for decor in my tank. I have to put my foot down and say no. I guess I'm just the mean dad
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

You’re a great dad and on the right track. My kids are not grown up and both have planted tanks because they enjoyed the hobby from an early stage in their lives. I remember the rainbows, sunken ships, skulls, Barbie dolls etc…
I now have tanks that are as you would say au natural but there are days that I miss them and their deco’s.
My youngest daughter is in college in a dorm and has a Nano planted tank that she has built on her own that is beautiful and she has started a trend and spreading her joy to many that are following her and setting up tanks too.
Enjoy your children and their deco's while you can they grow up fast and leave the nest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode