The Planted Tank Forum banner

Few of my works - new tank planted - page 6

17K views 125 replies 37 participants last post by  zico_aqua 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm new in the forum. The website is a massive archive for someone new to the hobby so kudos to all who have written things so far for all. Fortunately I have been in the hobby for 15+ years now and couple of years in aquascaping area..so without much delay I present few of my works of the year 2012. Hope folks like it.

Pic 1: The Cuuube
Pic 2: End Point (this was a gift of mine to my fiancée)
Pic 3: Paradise of my dreams
Pic 4: The Rock

there are a few tanks which are getting ready too, will post them after sometime. Need to compress the other files and too lazy on a sunday..hehe..:)

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
@DogFish - there is no rocket science build to it to be honest. For the nano cubes I use a simple orange coloured 15W night lamp. And in my fiancé's I used a simple cool white 6500K 14W T5 which was covered with yellow paper towel, single in the middle and double layer at the sides to give the red-orangish view. Hope this helps..:)

@partobe - hehe..playing around with a tank is always blissful..:D please let me know if I can help scape wise for ideating in future..:)

Thanks all..:)

#11 ·
Few of my works

So here is one of my latest work in progress - this a 2ft'r everything is a build done by me.

the tank is now aged 1.5 months. adding an old shot and a concept latest one. This is not a final shot..a lot of work has to yet go in here.

The scape is called - "Hills by the morning"

pic 1: the tank at 1 month age
pic 2: taken during my weekly maintenance. few changes have gone in the tank yet a lot of work still left.

Attachments

#13 ·
Few of my works

And finally the smallest tank that I have scaped till date!
This is a 8inch cube.
Scape name - The Cuuube Ver: 2.0
tank age - 1 week

This tank is a DSM startup, so it's going to take it's own sweet time to grow..bit less work for here..:) phew! thank god..:)

Pic 1: the hardscape
Pic 2: Post 90% planting - I'm still awaiting the arrival of weeping moss for the front tree.
Pic 3: A smoke pack just to show the size of the scape.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Hey Jonathan..here are the specs for you:

tank - 24''X15"X15" (glass 6mm all sides, base 8mm)
light - 4*6500K 36W PLL
substrate - controsoil + vermicompost as base layer
filter - Ehiem 2213+sunsun 301 HOB
Plants - HC 'Cuba', E. Parvula, Glosso Elantoides, Xmas moss,flame moss, anubias nana 'petit', H. tripartita, s. repens, M.Hirsuta, Fissidens fontanus,mini pelia
Fauna - 2 oto's and few Sakura red as of now, getting Indian natives next month ir, P.balitora,P.gelius and cardinia 'zebra'

#19 · (Edited)
Few of my works

one more project done this year. This time for a friend who stays near my home. He wasn't entirely happy with his tank..this was his first planted tank and was struggling a bit scape-wise and plant heath wise. I tried helping a bit in rescaping the tank with exactly same materials he had already. So here are the pics:

pic1: His scape
pic 2: My rescape - and pic taken after 4 weeks. Since this is his first tank and was running on a HOB so flow issue resulted in quite a bit of algae..what I last know that issue has been sorted after he bought a canister filter+excel dosing.
Pic 3: after 2.5 months (shot taken 01.05/2013)
Pic 4: One of the inhabitants

Scape name - Rebirth
BTW this one runs on DIY CO2

Attachments

#20 ·
Few of my works

Any one looking for an update on my 2ft'r? here it is (added pic). The tank is finally taking shape the way I want it to be..a few trims here and there should do the trick. But then again I do need the FG to fill up. BTW tried a new style of HC planting and by far it's a super success. I will explain it in the long run after the carpet is complete..it's an easy alternate to/for people who cannot get hands on any powder type soil for growing cuba

Attachments

#23 ·
As promised this is the new technique which I have used to grow cuba- Please be adviced, this applies mostly for who buy cuba in it's mat form.

1) Take the thinnest green coarse type dishwasher you can find.
2) Cut it into size smaller than the placement areas where the cuba planting is intended.
3) Take a small amount of the tank soil you are using, add a small bit of water and make it into a muck (thick one thought)
4) Take non-bio De-gradable toothpicks and pierce the base pad before hand.
5) put the muck as created in step 3 and put it over the pad on top of which put the cuba and simply tie with a thread/fishing line and with the help of the toothpicks just shove it into the ground substrate to keep it fixed.

That's it done. The reason of such is -> Cuba has the smallest roots as known - so the point of the muck is to give it a soft base to catch hold on to the ground as fast as possible. The reason of the dishwasher is to provide a base so that the muck does not get released in the weaterline+provide porosity for water movement. With this method I have noticed that the cuba instantly gets attached via roots in less than 3 days and starts spreading. Now one might ask me - but what about the rest of the substrate - I will say see - since the initial root development is the most important I concentrated in it more, once settled the root system will automatically try an adjust to the substrate in and around it. Yes you do need high light+High CO2 for the first few days post planting..after which just lay back and enjoy the growth. Hope people gets benefited out of this simple idea to an alternative to non-availablity/non-fundability of powder type aquarium soil.

#25 ·
#28 ·
well I do not have pics at the moment..but i'll make one for sure..dishwasher is like - http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgu...=2SzbUJ6fKcysrAerr4CACA&sqi=2&ved=0CEoQ9QEwAw

the sandwich thickness should be as thin as possible and tied like simply how one would tie moss to a rock.
Ah I see, thank you. How long do you suppose toothpics are necessary ? You say 3 days to catch roots. Do you ever have a problem removing the toothpic or does the HC really feel good in there ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.