Ammonia Spike - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Ammonia Spike

Hello all,
My Ammonia has shot up to 0.25ppm which has sadly caused 2 of my guppies to die before I could realise it increased. I'm definitely not over feeding and there is only 8 full grown Guppies -I do also have fry in the tank but their impossible to count properly!
I'm wondering could I need to replace my filter sponges? I got given the filter by a friend of mine around 4 months ago. I have no idea when he last changed them, still waiting to hear back from him.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Do not change media. Clean and reuse. There are a lot of beneficial bacteria living on the sponges, and pretty much all the surfaces in the filter and in the tank. Clean the sponges in water that has been removed from the tank for a water change.

Do as thorough a vacuum as you can, removing as much fallen debris as possible. Do more water changes, and make sure the dechlorinator will lock up ammonia.

For a few days, quit feeding.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Planted Member
I wouldn't touch the filters, you'll be throwing away any bacteria that you have potentially making the spikes worse. .25 isn't lethal for most fish particularly if your PH is low. What test kit are you using? What size tank and what fish do you have? Had you made any changes to the tank (removing anything, adding fish, etc)? I'm assuming the parameters were stable prior to this? Perhaps a fish died and caused the spike? I've had unexplained spikes before, usually it evens itself out as long as there isn't a cause somewhere (dead fish, etc). Do some extra water changes with dechlorinator and see if things even out again.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Just did a water change and I was due to gently clean the sponges anyway and do some vacuming, I just did it a bit more thorough then usual.
Tank is 20 gallons, I used API's master test kit, I have guppies. I've added Co2 to the tank but it's producing a bubble slow enough to not make much of an effect. The PH did used to be 8 but since the Co2 it's slowly come down.
I will say that the fish have had Velvet in the past and i'm not 100% its gone, they've stopped flicking but the males still have a golden look when a torch is shone on them. The females do not have this though.
Is there anything else you would like to know?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode