The Planted Tank Forum banner

Driftwood from petsmart?

9K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  amphirion 
#1 ·
I saw some drift there for fairly cheap and i was wondering if it is safe?

See less See more
#4 ·
That's the same stuff on the left of the photos, same stuff and same price, more than likely cheaper at the store due to no shipping costs

#7 ·
I will be sure o boil it then. I am going to get the mopani, as for the grape vine, i will leave that alone.

#8 ·
Local Petcos sell soaked driftwood in their stock tanks. It's a bit more expensive than the dry stuff, but it's ready to use.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
You have Pet Supplies Plus there in Raleigh. They have Malaysian driftwood for $10 ea. All sizes. It sinks like a rock and looks awesome. Look in the lizard section too because they split it up between fish and there. Much better selection imo than Petsmart/Petco. The Malaysian wood will leech tannins for ~3-4 months but meh...water changes take care of that minor stuff. If it really bugs you then use charcoal.

Cheers

http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/custserv/locate_store.cmd

#10 ·
How dod you know that? Besides looking online...

#12 ·
Haha gotchya. Thought you were from around here.

#14 ·
Interesting 😏

#16 ·
Picked up some of the same stuff a couple years ago from PS or some other box store. Regular mopani wood without any of that weird bark or any of that crap.

Gave it a good boiling in my wife's stew pot for about an hour to accelerate the tannin leeching, let it cool down and it's been in the tank since then. No film, no brown water and sunk like a Mob cement shoe. Didn't end up needing carbon or purigen either.

BL pleco made one of them his home and the other has multiple anubias stuck to it like glue.

#19 ·
Yep! I think that is what I am going to go with

#21 ·
yes you may. just boil them to be on the safe side. i usually stick my pieces in a large cauldron, put as much of it underwater as possible, cover the lid and boil. Once when it starts boiling, i leave it there for 10 minutes, then i turn the heat off and let is sit there for an additional hour or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.