Alternate source for planted tank filters. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alternate source for planted tank filters.

So, I'm still browsing for lights, which I think I'll settle for this http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...46adb495731cfb for my 75 gallon tank.

Anyway, while I was looking through their site I was just curiously exploring and stumbled upon this: http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1384

Considering planted tanks need a lot of water flow, I see that as a cheaper option than snagging two canister filters. Plus, it comes with UV! Build a spray bar on that thing, and perhaps attach a garden house valve on that thing to adjust the flow rate, and it seems you've got yourself an interestingly cheap yet powerful option. Or even better, a custom spraybar that would simulate the same effect and flow as if one had two canisters. Only 150$ less.

What do you guys think? I'm not really sure, but I believe 1600gph sure does beat my 200$ no UV 250 gph. By a tiny bit.

Trained in EMS, I can save a person from death and/or injury. I cannot, however, save a man from his own stupidity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would do a lot of research and just as you are doing ask for input from people who have used that brand, that system.

I know with lights that often the cheaper brands' fluorescent lighting are using a cheaper ballast that does not give the production that the better (more expensive) brands can do.

I have heard about problems with cheaper brands of filters, too.

Like anything: You get what you pay for in most cases.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No no no, I'm not looking for the cheap route. I'm just thinking, since pond pumps seem to be a cheaper option in general, why not just use those? They offer an extreme amount of water flow, and looks like that one pump can replace several canister filters.

Trained in EMS, I can save a person from death and/or injury. I cannot, however, save a man from his own stupidity.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also considering this:

1) if you have a single filter and it goes out after hours, the tank is without a doubt going to be hit with lack of oxygen for the filter and tank,and the filter medium's bacteria will probably die. New filter syndrome on an already established tank(with full load) - might as well write if off as complete loss.

2) 2 filters give you the balance of water movement across a longer tank, in above scenario you still have one filter going to keep things running until the next day when stores are open, and best of all when cleaning the filter medium in one filter, the other is still active.

I would shoot for two or keep an extra around for backup
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could probably do it, but two things I could think of off the bat, pond filters might not be sealed as diligently as one's that are destined for indoor use and they also might not run as silent. Two issues that you probably wouldn't notice outdoors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode