Could I use branches from these trees? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Could I use branches from these trees?

I am finding these trees all over and they have some cool branches on them, could I use these? Also what type of trees are these?

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Those are crepe myrtles... The bottom with the red bark is a Natchez crepe...I wouldnt use them
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Crepe Myrtle is safe in the aquarium, I have had these branches in there for many years, many species of fish, including Loricariads that eat them.

I got them when they had been pruned off for a few months, lying in a horse pasture. I IDed it by the distinctive bark.

I soaked the branches in water, no chlorine or anything else until they sank, and changed the water every few days. (No choice- the container leaked). There were almost no tannins even from the start.

I got these branches at least 5 years ago, more like 6-8 years?
Ultimately these (like all wood) will rot in the tank. All the little pieces are gone (1" and smaller diameter). I still have some of the larger pieces (2-3" diameter)This happens so slowly that I find these very good choices to use in the tank. I would sure use them again. I am eyeballing my own Crepe Myrtle... asking myself, "If I pruned it right there..."
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is there a list somewhere that tells what wood is ok for a tank and what isn't? I shake my head at the generic term "driftwood" when I see it applied to branches that have never been near water - lol, but I often see very cool branches in the woods. I assume the cutting have to be dead & dry & not breaking down (pithy, soft, or crumbling)?

PS, I'm pretty impressed you knew they were crape myrtle. I can only recognize it when it's blooming - lol

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm. I know to stay away from pine, Cyprus and cedar.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So if I were to use some branches, how would I go about preparing them? Never used actual branches found locally, and I am tired of waiting and purchasing manzanita branches online (Just too much for shipping).

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Where are you finding them? Unless they are on your property, it is illegal in many places to remove anything from the wild/forest. That includes animals, rocks, plants, decaying wood, ect.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ha! You know, just around. And I am in Raleigh, NC.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
Where are you finding them? Unless they are on your property, it is illegal in many places to remove anything from the wild/forest. That includes animals, rocks, plants, decaying wood, ect.
Shoot! I take rocks all the time. Uh oh....

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Algae Grower

cedar, whats wrong with cedar, I know many people who have used it when it is old and weathered.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is simply what I have been told. I could have very well been told wrong. Never used it before, but I have never used anything found locally before, other than rocks.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have heard the same thing too about all softwoods - true or not I don't know. Cedar has some of the coolest looks, too. I have a cedar piece I used in a 55 (long since taken down). In a year, it never stopped producing the white slimy bacterial bloom for more than a few weeks at a time. Also, much to my surprise, after 4 months some leftover deep residue started to work it's way out. I assume a resin? It looked just like resin, following the cracks that formed along the cedar's growth pattern. The piece was bone dry for well over a year before I used it too - so who knows? Maybe what happened was typical & normal, perhaps I had a fluke piece...but I am leery of pine & cedar now.

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now I just need to find out how to prepare it. I will be using it more for hanging branches, as if it was dipping down into the water. Not totally submersed.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Is there a list somewhere that tells what wood is ok for a tank and what isn't? I shake my head at the generic term "driftwood" when I see it applied to branches that have never been near water - lol, but I often see very cool branches in the woods. I assume the cutting have to be dead & dry & not breaking down (pithy, soft, or crumbling)?

PS, I'm pretty impressed you knew they were crape myrtle. I can only recognize it when it's blooming - lol
I think I saw a list like this being put together on another forum, but it had no real standards, and as such, I wouldn't quite trust it. It was pretty much: "hey, I knew a guy who put fresh oleander in his tank", and then they would add oleander on the list, and claim it was safe...

I think in general most wood will be safe as long as it's fairly well aged so that little to no sap/resin remains. If it's dead wood that has been weathering for years, or driftwood that's been soaking for a while, then it's probably good. I'd soak it a bit anyways.

I think the main reason they warn people away from softwood is that it may decay quicker. I don't worry about it too much, everything will decay eventually, and I think an aquarium that changes as it grows is more interesting.

If there are any rivers/streams that you happen to wander across, it may be worth checking them, especially if there are areas where a logjam forms.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I think I saw a list like this being put together on another forum, but it had no real standards, and as such, I wouldn't quite trust it. It was pretty much: "hey, I knew a guy who put fresh oleander in his tank", and then they would add oleander on the list, and claim it was safe...

I think in general most wood will be safe as long as it's fairly well aged so that little to no sap/resin remains. If it's dead wood that has been weathering for years, or driftwood that's been soaking for a while, then it's probably good. I'd soak it a bit anyways.

I think the main reason they warn people away from softwood is that it may decay quicker. I don't worry about it too much, everything will decay eventually, and I think an aquarium that changes as it grows is more interesting.

If there are any rivers/streams that you happen to wander across, it may be worth checking them, especially if there are areas where a logjam forms.
Logjam? I am assuming where a bunch of wood pile up? And how do I know what is safe then?

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode