What media do you use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What media do you use?

Sorry I post way to much.. get used to it I am on vacation from now until Jan 2nd w00t.

Here what I am thinking to put in my sump, don't like the filter socks I am using now, mostly because my sump is too large and maint. is a pain. If I am making a mistake going away from them please tell me that as well.

I have drains on each side of my sump
Plan to put shelf in the sump with PVC and egg crate.
On the shelf will be coarse poret
On the bottom in that same area will be Bio media

Next chamber
More bio media

Next chamber
Polyester floss

Final chamber
Return pump

Should I change that? Only thing I really want to have to remove each month is the floss.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

heh, i have one and only one filter pad i replace once weekly. my over flow sponge gets rinsed out once weekly as well, i do both of those while my tank is refilling, i scrub my glass while its draining to remove bio film

tank's full so i duct tape my we/tdry section and on everything goes. process takes 10 minutes?

so for me less is better.....

a picture of my sump frm the manufacturers website u can see were the filter pad goes
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anyone else think the plan I have will work best for sump? Main thing is will allow me to get rid of the filter sock which I think will be better in the long wrong.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Plastic pot scrubbers, bath scrubbies, BBQ lava rock, anything cheap and in bulk. There is no way I could justify to myself to spend $200-300 to fill up a sump with bioballs when $30 in plastic pot scrubbers from the dollar store would do just as well.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Plastic pot scrubbers, bath scrubbies, BBQ lava rock, anything cheap and in bulk. There is no way I could justify to myself to spend $200-300 to fill up a sump with bioballs when $30 in plastic pot scrubbers from the dollar store would do just as well.
I agree 100%, my main concern is do you think going the route I plan rather than using filter sock is OK?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use a 4" piece of coarse poret foam, a 2" piece of med poret foam then a 2" piece of fine poret foam. That's it.
This is for my 75 gallon with 8 hatchetfish, 6 nearly adult angels, 8 cory and a whole slew of rcs that breed in the sump itself. I have had this sump running for several months and I rinsed the fine sheet of foam once when I was overfeeding.

I use a mag 5 for a return pump. I used a 9.5 for a while and thought about going back to it BUT if the flow is too fast then the 'stuff' breaks away from the media and ends up back in the tank.

-I think if you have tone down the flow of water through the filter media you will find you don't need to use floss or a filter sock.

If I was to do it again I would use the exact same setup but switch the medium and fine pieces to 4".

Last edited by dprais1; 12-05-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: df
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You will have to probably clean your poret foam if big chunks of food and poop and debris can make it's way down your overflows. Covering the overflows with sponge prevents this but then those sponges need to be cleaned. Depending on what you're keeping, at some point, some foam will need to be cleaned somewhere.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well my plan only works if I don't overfeed. sometimes I get leaves or little bits of food on the sump but the shrimp make quick work of that. And poop that is just food for the bacteria.

My plan is to rinse either the fine or the med every three months and never rinse the coarse.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
yup I agree I have used K1 Kaldness Hel-X and pot scrubbers and honestly the only difference is the price
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

amost sounds as if the best option then is to just keep the filter socks and order some more of them so I can switch out more often?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode