Hardwood floor and fish tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hardwood floor and fish tank

Had new hardwood floors installed last week and now I am ready to put my tank back in place. Just wondering what you do if anything to protect the floor? I am know I am bit messy, so really fish tank and hardwood floor in same area a bad idea, but that they way it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
I have a large stack of aquarium towels. Once under the buckets, one for my hands, and one to step on and slurp up any puddles of water I may slosh on the floor while hauling my buckets.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

While it may seem obvious but we might need to make sure what floor we are talking. Real wood or wood laminate that looks like wood?
For the real solid wood, my first thought would be to get the stand up off the floor so that spills, Which will happen, will be able to dry. Leaving the stand down solid to the floor will let water creep under and not dry well. This can leave a mess on the finish. For this a slider at each corner would be my choice.
For laminate that has a tendency to crush if weight is concentrated at one spot, I would not recommend the sliders. Here, I would look at a clear coat of poly to seal the joints in the laminate but leave the stand solid on the floor.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you talking about tank to floor protection or water to floor protection? Towels are hard to beat lol. They do make those really absorbent pads made to put your dishes on after handwashing them. They absorbs tons of water, are nice and squishy to stand on and can go into the wash when theyre nasty and fishy. Otherwise just hang them to dry. Thats my #1 choice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Under the stand is open, but the outside of it is solid, so I cannot access under the stand from 3 of the sides. The back I can get under with the shop vac if I spill anything under it. I try not to, but sometimes it does happy. Mostly the conern is where the solid part is and maybe water would sit under that part?

The floors are not laminate, but they are pre-finished hardwood, I think it bamboo.

Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Are these real?

I try to be careful... I use a cheap Harbor Freight "Movers Blanket" to catch any drips. If something drips on the floor I (re)use a paper towel to dry it right away. Water change buckets - don't fill them all the way.

Had one incident so far where I confused the CO2 and fertilizer tubing, which led to a flooding fertilizer container, and some water dripping down below the flooring. I used a Vornado "Air Circulator" on high for a day or so to dry things out.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tanks & Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Had new hardwood floors installed last week and now I am ready to put my tank back in place. Just wondering what you do if anything to protect the floor? I am know I am bit messy, so really fish tank and hardwood floor in same area a bad idea, but that they way it goes.
Hello Jim...

We've got hardwood floors and I picked up some heavy, rubber squares with a thick felt, top cover at the local hardware store and set the legs of the tank stand on the squares. The tank is a 45 G tall and about 450 lbs. with all the substrate and water.

There's not a mark on the flooring that I can see.

Just a thought.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

From my years owning rental property, I found that the temporary wet spot is not a big problem. They can be wiped up. But when things are flat on the floor so they don't dry, it leads to all kinds of discoloring or damage to the finish. Things like the frig where the feet on solid on the floor can get real damage over time. Sounds like you should have good solid floor material so I would look at something to minimize the spots where water might stand long enough to damage the finish. Ideal would be not to spill things but I gave up on that a long while ago.
My reason for suggesting the sliders is the way they work. They are sturdy and can hold lots of weight and then if/when there is a real amount of water spilled, they will help slide the stand just enough to really get the floor dry. The hard ceramic ones seeem to have silicone or something to make them slide easy. Get the better quality ones, perhaps?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How big is your tank stand? If it fits, try cutting a desk chair clear mat to a foot or so larger than the aquarium frame to protect the floor? Then you can lift up any edges of it to wipe up moisture at the edges.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

May not look pretty but you could put the whole stand in a garden tray.

I have a great solution for this problem in mind that would protect floors even if the whole tank leaked out but I need to patent it first so I'd make some money on the idea...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxl View Post
May not look pretty but you could put the whole stand in a garden tray.

I have a great solution for this problem in mind that would protect floors even if the whole tank leaked out but I need to patent it first so I'd make some money on the idea...

I'm not sure where, but I read about a similar idea, where you just lay down a 4x8 sheet of plywood, put 2x4's on their edges around the perimiter, and seal the whole thing with epoxy. should hold something like 60 gallons. I'm going to try and do that for my set up, both to protect the floor, and as a secondary containment in case there is a tank failure or something. Not the prettiest, but I think it will work well in the space I have, and not look to bad.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Humm? A few 2X4's and plywood in the floor of the house! Your group must be a bit more tolerant than mine!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Humm? A few 2X4's and plywood in the floor of the house! Your group must be a bit more tolerant than mine!

ha ha, if I started to put 2x4's and plywood on living room floor, my wife would throw them out the front door, right along with myself as well. Since it in the main room of the house, it needs to look nice.

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

At this point I was just thinking I will put some felt on the bottom of the stand to avoid it from scratches and try to be very very careful. I am, but sometimes this or that falls over and water I am sure gets under the stand.

Sliders I don't think are an option as tank is 125, with 55 gallon sump under it, don't think it would be a good idea to move.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post

Heh. One of the benefits of living alone, I don't have to get as much approval for proposed changes

Plus my planned location would have it butting up against, walls and furniture, so most of it would be obscured. I think...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the initial "Oh yea!" of the basin (2 x 4 and plywood). It would indeed catch a lot of water, and you could probably arrange a drain to get the water outside safely.

However, it does not breath under the plywood, so if water ever got under there it would stay. It would mold, deform the wood, ruin the finish...

I prefer the ideas above for making as little floor coverage as possible, and moveable (sliders) at that. ]
I see the OP point, too. I also have 125 gallon tank, 20 gallon sump on newly finished 60 year old real oak hardwood floor. Also a 72 gallon bowfront with a 20 gallon sump over the same floor.
Both of the stands are DIY, and have feet the full length of the tanks.
I glued felt under the stands. I was of 2 minds while I was doing it.
a) Will hold moisture, wick it in, but it would also evaporate right back out.
b) Felt against the hardwood would protect it from getting scarred.
Point a) was a wash (pun intended!) Felt might help the water get in, but would just as easily let it back out. Point b) became the deciding factor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode