The 29g rant - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The 29g rant

I'm so looking forward to the day I can turn mine into a sump for a tank that doesn't feel so cramped, say a 75-120g.

If you're thinking about a 29g, consider:

- it isn't thick enough to really allow for foreground, midground, and background planting. Two of the three, sure. All three? Nope, not in my experience.

- flow is weird, probably because of the shape. Even with a 2217, I still need a Koralia nano to hit dead spots. Yeah, it does have a reactor and heater inline and the spray bar is aimed upward to maximize O2, but still.

- lighting fixtures are awkward to find (most lights are in 24", 36", and 48" lengths) and 30" T5HO bulbs are even more rare, if they exist at all. I had to get offset 24" bulbs in a custom case.

Grrrr.

/rant

29g high tech, 10g low tech halfmoon, and please see my 5g crescent journal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Algae Grower

Totally Agree. I'd also add that they are just a little too short for schooling fish to feel the need to do a lot of swimming so they mostly just hang out. I just use mine now as a backup tank for fish that aren't working out in my main tank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 2217 running in my 29g, and I find that if I just do not use the spray bar and run the open nozzle a little towards the front glass I get plenty of flow. In fact I have to throttle it down some otherwise it's like a hurricane in there. See my signature for my current set up.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 AM
Children Boogie

You have to go small so your tank feels big; small fish, small plants, small rocks, small driftwood. Go for led lights. It's expensive but will last you a long time.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree that the 29g is not nearly as easy to work with as the larger tanks, when it comes to creating multiple tiers of plants. However, it is possible to create a beautiful scape using the 29g if you're willing to limit your collectoritis.

Right now, I'm starting my 29g back up. I'm planning on using a healthy amount of anudias, java fern, moss, swords, crypts, and micro-sword (carpet). I'm hopeful that I'll be able to create some depth and make an overall pleasing look.

The real issue with the 29g is the fact that lighting can be difficult to acquire. I'm currently using T5HO. It's a good quality fixture, but I'm thinking about going to LED once the current bulbs reach 2 years of age.

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Think of it like a 55 with even more problems!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

Oh I agree! Unless you are going for a 12g or less nano tank you want a minimum 18" depth. So the next standard size up from nano's would be a 25g 18"x18"x18", then a 40b 36"x18"x16", 60g 24"x24"x24", 65g 36"x18"x24", 75g 48"x18"x21", 90g 48"x18"x24", 120g 48"x24"x24", etc.

I sure wish there were more small tanks with 24" depth! I've been looking for a 36"x24"x24" on craigslist for over a year to no avail, will likely need to have it custom made.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I hear ya about the 36"x24"x24". If I had to go with a standard 36" tank, it would probably be a 50g - 36"x18"x19".

29g high tech, 10g low tech halfmoon, and please see my 5g crescent journal.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Nation

A 55 is even worse. That tank looks horrible from the side
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM6467 View Post
I agree that the 29g is not nearly as easy to work with as the larger tanks, when it comes to creating multiple tiers of plants. However, it is possible to create a beautiful scape using the 29g if you're willing to limit your collectoritis.

Right now, I'm starting my 29g back up. I'm planning on using a healthy amount of anudias, java fern, moss, swords, crypts, and micro-sword (carpet). I'm hopeful that I'll be able to create some depth and make an overall pleasing look.

The real issue with the 29g is the fact that lighting can be difficult to acquire. I'm currently using T5HO. It's a good quality fixture, but I'm thinking about going to LED once the current bulbs reach 2 years of age.
CAM6467,

I'm moving from a first ank, a 10G, to a 29 that a friend of mine found in his new basement still in the original cardboard -

Lights, substrate, accoutrements will be here bfore the end of the week - I'm starting a journal the minute the goodies arrive.

Let's compare notes!

'An ounce of prevention is worth Aponogeton'
- Jim Hathaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode