DSM HC Clippings Tupperware! *****Week 4 Update - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Children Boogie

I used regular sand with osmocote in the bottom. Super cheap and easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I spread the clippings across the top of the subtrate evenly and then the pressed down firmly to kind of imbed them into the substrate. That's it.

I've done an HC DSM with 1 year old Eco-Complete rinsed before and it worked well.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have used eco-complete in this kind exact situation and was able to grow HC and dwarf microsword but I'm sure like mistergreen said the plants will grow faster.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Using soil is better.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

tagged, looking forward to your updates.
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I will photo update weekly. I estimate it will take over 2 months.
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
I've heard that before as well but it is simply not true. See my tank journal in my signature.

> Listed nutrients on the from of the bag
Attachment 58071

I love Eco-Complete and would recommend it to anyone. It a wonderful substrate and I have had nothing but positive results.

I will say however, Eco-Complete does not grow plaint like AquaSoil or Dirt but it does get the job done.

Eco complete and flourite have tons of nutrients in their makeup. The problem is 90% of it is IN the makeup not bioavailabe to the plants. The only nutrients available are on the first 5% of layers of ''rock'' plants ddont need much nutrients to grow and for the first month or so while roots are growing they will suck everything out they can and then u will be left with an inert substrate that needs supplementation
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Eco complete and flourite have tons of nutrients in their makeup. The problem is 90% of it is IN the makeup not bioavailabe to the plants. The only nutrients available are on the first 5% of layers of ''rock'' plants ddont need much nutrients to grow and for the first month or so while roots are growing they will suck everything out they can and then u will be left with an inert substrate that needs supplementation
Interesting, I never knew that. Thanks for weighing in Blazingwolf. Do you know where we all can read more about this?
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Its a standard fired clay substrate. It is much the same as terra cotta. Plants cant send there roots through the clay. Just the first small pores they attach to. After that the porous inner structure is too small to allow roots to reach, or for that matter water to pull nutrients out off.

If i were to make a clay pot, i could add in tons and tons of ammonia and phosphates and say that my pot would help grow any plant better than the competitors pot, but once the plant roots extract everything from the surface they can reach, the pot is still just a pot, but i can say its got 50000000 ppm of ammonia locked inside

This is prett much how flourite and eco complete work. The good news is they are able because of this to exchange cations allowing them to hold nutrients in the water, making them available for plantsr later on. So if u dont fertilize, when u feed and it gets broken down, and change water, the subsrate acts like a sponge and holds onto as much as it can thus maintaining consistent growth, this works out well in a low tech tank, but in a well fertilized tank, you'll never see this happen as plants can easily absorb nutrients from the water column
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's so interesting...

Another thing is Eco-Complete last forever, especially if its absorbing nutrients like wolf has explained above.

Other substrates like aquasoil become lose and no good after a couple years. Well, so I've read...
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Planted Member

Eco is inert for the more details reasoning listed above. Still a good substrate and especially for low-light, low maintenance setups.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Floating HC farm.

I’ve been growing HC for the past few months in a small container filled with about Ĺ inch of potting soil and just enough water to cover the plants. I use the containers you get when you buy olives at one of the olive bars they have in the grocery stores. It is maybe an inch and a half high and has about a three inches radius. With only this small amount of dirt and water I find that the containers float and so I have taken to floating them in the corners of my grow out tanks. Once a week or so I dump the excess water and replace it. With only a small distance between the light and the plants and almost no water they grow very well. Not only do they get good light but they don’t block any of the light from the rest of the aquarium. Just this morning I split one container into three and I probably could have made four or more. Rather than clipping the plants I just pull out clumps and plant them .
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Floating HC farm.

Iíve been growing HC for the past few months in a small container filled with about Ĺ inch of potting soil and just enough water to cover the plants. I use the containers you get when you buy olives at one of the olive bars they have in the grocery stores. It is maybe an inch and a half high and has about a three inches radius. With only this small amount of dirt and water I find that the containers float and so I have taken to floating them in the corners of my grow out tanks. Once a week or so I dump the excess water and replace it. With only a small distance between the light and the plants and almost no water they grow very well. Not only do they get good light but they donít block any of the light from the rest of the aquarium. Just this morning I split one container into three and I probably could have made four or more. Rather than clipping the plants I just pull out clumps and plant them .
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Here are two of them . The first one is floating. The second one is actually sitting atop a rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HC Farms 001.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	58143  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HC Farms 002.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	58144  

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cool, what are your plans for the plants in the trays?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode