need help on chipped tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

need help on chipped tank

Ok trying to help my dad out here. He's looking at a 75 gallon tank that has a chip out of the front right corner about 2/3's up. the silicon is still fine and the chip doesn't go all the way through. It's only about a half inch tall and about half way through the thickness of the glass. I have a pic of it holding water, the water is above the crack but still has about 4" before the tank is full.

What do you guys think? I've never dealt with a chipped tank before. Should he buy it? Tank and stand for $125. He needs to know tonight. Please help.

We don't inherit this world from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Chipped glass on tanks is, in my opinion, a matter of personal experience, how thick the glass it, and how much risk one is willing to accept. For a grow out tank in a basement, a tank failure is a potential problem that can be accepted and dealt with. In a living room with sealed hardwood floors, it's a larger potential problem. On carpet, the clean up of 75 gallons of tank water could be a huge expense. On the other hand, someone might run the handle of an upright vacuum cleaner into the side of a brand new perfect tank. (Specifically a 200g tank that was a room divider in a doctors office. Perfect bullseye for about a week. Then it let go.)

For a 75g tank with thick enough glass, a chip less than an eighth of an inch deep and less than an inch "tall" is a totally different question than quarter inch thick glass with the same chip.

I'm sorry I can't offer a simple yes or no.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Planted Member

I would pass.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Plant Clown

It will probably be fine. 4-5 inches from the top of a tank means there's relatively little pressure against it. And $125 for a 75g tank and stand is a pretty good deal. Not great, but definitely pretty good.

However, your dad is concerned about it. And that, alone, might be reason enough to pass. Unless he decides to buy new, the most he should ever pay for the same deal is an extra $30-50 (and that's if the tank and stand are freaking gorgeous). And that $50, for peace of mind, isn't a bad investment.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for your opinions. He asked for my advise on it because he's fairly new to this. Getting into it because he never knew of planted tanks and loves my 29gal. Kevmo, I told him the same thing and thats why he passed on it. Told him that a little extra money is worth not having a chance of 75 gallons of water in his living room.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would ALWAYS see that chip when I looked at my tank. Ugh...I'd pass!

Is this the tank?

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/for/3409619572.html

CL can have some good deals - I have gotten a lot of good stuff. Used tanks...um...one thing I'm really picky about is that people tend to let the water level fall far enough into the viewing range, and eventually it etches the glass permanently. So you see this haze right in the viewing area. Impossible to remove...I would be looking for that as well as scratches and the general condition of the silicone. People get aggressive with the scrapers and ding it up.

Good luck - I recommend you tag along with him if he's a n00b. There's too many gotchas with used aquariums.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I would ALWAYS see that chip when I looked at my tank. Ugh...I'd pass!

Is this the tank?

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/for/3409619572.html

CL can have some good deals - I have gotten a lot of good stuff. Used tanks...um...one thing I'm really picky about is that people tend to let the water level fall far enough into the viewing range, and eventually it etches the glass permanently. So you see this haze right in the viewing area. Impossible to remove...I would be looking for that as well as scratches and the general condition of the silicone. People get aggressive with the scrapers and ding it up.

Good luck - I recommend you tag along with him if he's a n00b. There's too many gotchas with used aquariums.

Thats the one. Ya, I plan on going with him when he does get one. And for this one, before I said he should pass, I was going to go with him and look at it. I think this weekend I'm going to show him this site so he can start reading up on everything and get a few ideas of what he wants to do. He's retired so I expect him to have this whole site read by monday. Ha.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty82 View Post
Thanks for your opinions. He asked for my advise on it because he's fairly new to this. Getting into it because he never knew of planted tanks and loves my 29gal. Kevmo, I told him the same thing and thats why he passed on it. Told him that a little extra money is worth not having a chance of 75 gallons of water in his living room.

Yeah, I'm partial towards it's best not to risk it.
Especially with someone fairly new in the hobby: combining a potentially flawed tank, typical beginner mistakes, and just bad luck - could add up to a really unpleasant first experience.

Tanks can be expensive, but it's a one-time expense, and can last years (decades even), so it might be worth the peace of mind to shell out for a new (or nearly new used) tank. Lights, pump, stand(maybe?), etc, are probably safer to buy used/damaged.

On the other hand, if he's interested in a riparium/paludarium where the water level would be well below the chip, then that would probably be a great buy. Just orient so the chip is on the corner near a wall or something.

m00se> Just out of curiosity, do you know what causes that?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Water is the universal solvent. Add accumulated acids (usually people who allow this to happen aren't the most diligent at cleaning their tanks) and other assorted environmental agents and over time, it just happens. I don't know the exact mechanism for it. Once it happens though - game over.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Planted Member

Not to hijack this thread (although the decision I think has been made), but how do rimless tanks avoid that Moose?

Is it routine deburring? I just bought a rimless Fluval spec V and want to avoid that etching (which I have experienced in the past with a small tank).
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's an excellent question. Maybe someone with a chemistry background can jump in and tell us both because I don't know in detail. Apparently the water does this pretty much the same way that glassware in a dishwasher gets damaged over time. Glass is hard to the touch but it relatively soft chemically and vulnerable to acids and alkali.

Once it's there, forget getting rid of it. It's why I'm OCD about keeping my tanks topped off.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

That does not sound like an outstanding deal for a used and damaged 75 gallon with a stand.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Glass is hard to the touch but it relatively soft chemically and vulnerable to acids and alkali.
ah, actually, I'm wondering if it's the alkali. I think glass is more vulnerable to bases, I've heard that's why fiberglass is rarely used in concrete. Maybe it's related to the build up of carbonates and salts and stuff that can happen at the water level.

anyways, thanks, that wasn't something I had ever seen before, or was even aware of.

Last edited by lochaber; 11-29-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Planted Member

Just to follow up - deposits from evaporation are usually not difficult to take off and they do come off.

Topping off your tank and wiping down the glass at the water line consistently will keep it away.

Your discussion prompted me to do some research. Most people with rimless that I ran across were able to avoid these regardless of the type of water that was in their source.

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode