The Planted Tank Forum banner

A beginner

736 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Xavier10 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm so glad I found this forum, I hope to get some help!

I bought a 5.5 gallon Marina kit one week ago. I have Miracle grow organic soil and was told to use play sand as a cap. I was also told to buy a CoraLife Mini compact fluorescent colormax 20 watt daylight lamp. Currently I have anubias on driftwood, brazil swords, lace java fern, water sprite, anacharis. The java fern and anubias are on the wood. Everything else is planted. I had one brazil sword die and some lace java fern. My sprite isn't looking too good either. I spent a lot of money on this and am afraid it will crash. I do not have any fish, shrimp, or snails in this tank. I poke holes in the ground..because I was told thats what I should do. If anyone can offer some advice that would so awesome! I really want to do this right! I relied on the associates at my LFS and feel like I was let down. I saw the fluval flora planted tank kit and wish I would have gone with that instead :icon_cry:. Oh well right? I want my plants to live, thats my main concern if I have to get a bigger tank I will or if I have to change the substrate, I can! Anywho! Thank you for reading! :)

#5 ·
My water sprite tips turned brown turned out to be algae. Diatom algae if you rub it off it comes of. I've had other plants go clear on me but new leafs grew out. I hear some will die from shock but it usually grows new ones just cut off the clear ones. I'm new at this also started oct 5 with a 50 gallon and now just set up a 10 gallon. It's all good so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.