The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can I add DIY CO2 in a low light tank low tech tank.

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  AbbeysDad 
#1 ·
Co2 can help plants. But If its low tech and low light will it still help? I am setting up a dirt tank and plant to add co2 as I think it can help plants. Reply please.

#2 ·
CO2 helps in any type of tank setup. Just make sure the amount of light isn't in the "too low" range. For example, you would want about 30 PAR. This will work especially well with a dirted tank, which has a lot of available nutrients.

On a final note, DIY co2 is a huge PITA :p

#3 ·
Co2 can help plants. But If its low tech and low light will it still help? I am setting up a dirt tank and plant to add co2 as I think it can help plants.
Since you are not dosing other fertilizers, the added CO2 will create problem in the long term.

At first you will see fantastic growth because the added CO2 will allow plants to draw from the reserve in the soil substrate. But after the reserve has been used up, your tank will experience severe algae problem. You will have to re-do the whole tank or start dosing other fertilizers.

#7 ·
It will cost very little to begin dosing basic NPK and trace elements, with dry chemicals.
Yes, it costed very little to dose. But many people choose the soil-based approach in order to reduce maintenance effort.

The change you will see by adding just DIY CO2 will really please you.
Indeed! People just have to realize the increased effort to maintain such a tank.

#9 ·
I'm with Hoppy on this one and I don't find DIY Bio-CO2 a PITA at all!
Here's what I'm doing in my 60g.
I basically have two alternating 4L (1g) containers so I replace one every two weeks with no trouble at all.... and I don't see an algae problem.

I was low tech and my substrate is silica (pool filter) sand and I did lightly fertilize. However, my plant growth had somewhat stalled. But after adding DIY CO2, just a bit more light and ferts (call it 'Medium Tech' now) and the plants are doing fantastic. My Amazon Sword and wisteria are trying to grow out of the tank! (and this 60g is 24" deep.)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.