oh no planaria!! - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
oh no planaria!!

ok so I have my 55 up and running only plants and 3 threaded nerite snails occupy it at the moment.

55 gallon
Rena XP3
108 w t5 ho lights for 6 hours, was 8 but I cut it back after I had some green spot algae break out haven't had it back yet since cutting hours.
Pressurized CO2@ 3 bps with a diffuser and power head on top for tank circulation
Dosing aquarium ferts Mmn formula
Eco complete 1" deep with pool filter sand 1" to 1 1/2" deep cap

Anyway I added driftwood to the tank to float until it sank and next thing I know when I get home from work, I can't see a damn thing (expected) but I also had thread algae outbreak and I noticed planaria. I don't feed any fauna, all I have in there right now is the snails. So my question is if I'm not feeding the tank how can I get planaria badly enough for me to see it?

Also would the tannins either just being there or blocking so much light cause the thread algae outbreak? I tried to remove as much as I could and I did a 70% water change and took the driftwood out. FYI I don't think the driftwood caused the planaria because it was never in water before if that matters. I already lost 2 plants in 1 day to the thread algae and others had it on that I was able to get a majority of it off.

Any suggestions would help me greatly. I'm trying to get this tank right before adding fish and so far it's not working out too well .

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Wannabe Guru
Pictures go a long way in accessing what's wrong.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Pictures of what exactly? The tank, the plants, the algae, the driftwood or the planaria?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower
Originally Posted by cturner View Post
Pictures of what exactly? The tank, the plants, the algae, the driftwood or the planaria?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Algae Grower
You sort out your planaria problem? I hate pests so much....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode