Long time reader, first time poster.
Started a 65 gallon (3x18x2) six to seven months ago. Plants have never taken off and I am in desperate need of help. Minor/medium algae problems come and go and signs still exist.
Main problem is plant growth is minimal, most leaves are dying, already gone through 2 sets of leaves on a few sword plants (clipped when dying/dead), and new plants are also getting brown edges.
Is it light, fert, or c02 requirements? Willing to expend any amount to see the problem rectified.
Per plant problem:
Sword leaves died and removed, twice. No new extended growth and starting to turn brown and spot.
(Sword and SFF [hoped it was an SAE])
Anubias brown edges, minimal growth, leaves starting to fail.
(Anubias - Original Planting on Left, Recent Crypt on Right)
Java fern sprouted many offspring, never took off, leaves died, leaves brown/darken and fall off. Recent brown algae (best guess it diatoms) covering leaves.
New plants are all experiencing brown edges on leaves.
Below is a detailed rundown of every part of the system and a run-down of the tank thus far.
Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Tank: 65 gallon (3x18x2) glass top (top cleaned every 2 weeks w/ water and vinegar to ensure light can get through)
- Rena XP3 350 GPH (had since start)
- Media: Course (30) and Medium Floss (30) in Bottom Basket, Ceramic and Stars in Middle, Ceramic in top followed by Purigen in The Bag and fine floss
- Intake ~3 above substrate right side of tank
- Output ~3 below water line mid-left side of tank
- Rinse floss every 3-4 weeks in bucket w/ aquarium water
- Fluval 306 210 GPH (added 3 months ago to take care of floating slimy stuff)
- Came w/ kit (floss, carbon, ceramic)
- Intake top skimmer and mid-level on right side of tank (adjusted so barely siphons water off of top)
Output ~6 below water line mid-right of tank
-Rinse floss every 3-4 weeks in bucket w/ aquarium water
In basement with minimal natural light. Standard overhead lights on ~10-14 hrs per day as used as an office.
Odyssea 36 4x39W T5HO
- x2 bulbs came with fixture - 6500K Daylight Odyssea brand 39W (since start)
x1 6,700K Daylight 21W Aqueon (3 Months ago)
x1 Actinic 420 Coral Sun 39W (1 week, suggested for lower frequency to get to bottom of tank easier)
Lights are on for 10hrs straight LED moon lights on when days are not
[Have 4' 2 x 40W glow bulbs ready to add]
~60lbs Eco-Complete for 2 bottom layer
~1.5-2 inches of normal aquarium (medium to medium/small) at bottom
- Set at 74-76 2x 250W submerged (in case 1 goes out)
- 1 currently unplugged. Active next to
Oceanic BioCube ACP 250 (250 gph)
- Temporarily NOT using any due to algae
- Have Flourish, Flourish Iron, Excel (I know its not a fertilizer)
- Was doing 1 cap excel every 2 days, 1 cap Iron every 2 days, 1 cap flourish every 3 days
- Home-made root tabs added once ~3 months ago. Same properties as store root tabs
Water and Conditioners:
- 10-20% water change every week
- Setup with well water with broken water softener, last 1 month water softener fixed
Originally used Tetra Aquasafe plus, now only use Prime (last 5 months) (per directions)
- Aquarium Salt (per directions)
- pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate (very low 0-5)
Started 2 months ago
DIY 6L (x2 3L bottles, started one 2 months ago and slowed down so started 2nd 1 week ago)
1 bubble every 1 to 2 seconds
- Output was in the powerhead until yesterday it was not breaking up as much as desired. Currently, drilled hole in Rena inlet tube (below water level) and snug-fit DIY from bubble counter into it
Fauna: (might be overloaded, but nitrate levels have almost always been zero since cycled)
-3 cory cats
-3 odessa barb
-3 upside-down catfish (always hiding)
-1 black molly
-2 fancy guppy
-2 neon tetra
-2 SAE (hopefully, small so they may be flying fox)
-3 madagascan rainbow
Flora: Since start:
-3 amazon sword
-2 red swords
-5 java fern attached to wood
-2 large swords (unknown variety)
-1 bunch wisteria