Growing Aponogeton Bulbs - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Invert Addict
 
dougolasjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 859
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Growing Aponogeton Bulbs

I bought some of those walmart aponogeton bulbs, and some did not grow. I sent them in, and they sent me back a bunch more. I wanted some opinions on the best way to grow them out. I want to use them in a dirty bowl ie (Potting soil capped) is that a good idea? Is there a way to get them started growing in another container then plant them in the dirty bowl so I make sure I have good bulbs. Right now I put about 4 in a container with wet potting soil to see if they would start quicker that way. The rest I have in a plastic bag in the fridge. Is that a good way to store the extra?

Bascially my questions are:

1. Would potting soil capped be a good idea?
2. Is there a quicker way to get them started growin? (Floating, In Substrate)
3. Is it okay to store them in the fridge?
4. Would it be okay to plant them in the potting soil then cap that?

Thanks
Doug

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
dougolasjr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Crispino L Ramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,462
It's the risk in buying bulbs versus live plants. Make sure it's dry and wrapped with lots of crumpled newsprint to prevent mold when stored in the fridge.

Crispino L Ramos is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
steven p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: columbus, ne
Posts: 1,528
Drop them in.. i let them flower up. The ulvaceus"lily" bulbs are more resistant to dormancy, but have runners instead of flowering up... One of mine came in huge like an amazon sword, it was nuts..

The crispus is lovely when healthy, i havent had much luck bringing them back tho... Flowers on the crispus look like tiny white salvia blooms.

As far as i know, most people keep their dormant bulbs in sand in the fridge.

If your tank is lightly planted, no special care is required..
steven p is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Invert Addict
 
dougolasjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 859
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
It's the risk in buying bulbs versus live plants. Make sure it's dry and wrapped with lots of crumpled newsprint to prevent mold when stored in the fridge.
I bought the bulbs from Walmart knowing they wouldn't all grow, and I could send them to Sea Life and get replacements. I do buy alot of live plants from members here and on the plantedtank. I will take your recommendation on the storage.

Thanks
Doug

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
dougolasjr is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Invert Addict
 
dougolasjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 859
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Drop them in.. i let them flower up. The ulvaceus"lily" bulbs are more resistant to dormancy, but have runners instead of flowering up... One of mine came in huge like an amazon sword, it was nuts..

The crispus is lovely when healthy, i havent had much luck bringing them back tho... Flowers on the crispus look like tiny white salvia blooms.

As far as i know, most people keep their dormant bulbs in sand in the fridge.

If your tank is lightly planted, no special care is required..
If I just drop them in do you think there is any benefit to using potting soil and capping it off? Or is that just a good way to get them started then plant them after.

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
dougolasjr is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
steven p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: columbus, ne
Posts: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
If I just drop them in do you think there is any benefit to using potting soil and capping it off? Or is that just a good way to get them started then plant them after.
I got good growth and rooting in plain alley gravel.

Id just drop them in the tank, anchor them after they start growing. If the bulbs start to shrink or get soft then they arent getting what they need. Topsoil will help the plant, no doubt. But honestly, i think they do a superb job keeping params stable in low light/tech set ups..

Theyre entirely undemanding plants, except for the dormant season.
steven p is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Invert Addict
 
dougolasjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 859
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
I got good growth and rooting in plain alley gravel.

Id just drop them in the tank, anchor them after they start growing. If the bulbs start to shrink or get soft then they arent getting what they need. Topsoil will help the plant, no doubt. But honestly, i think they do a superb job keeping params stable in low light/tech set ups..

Theyre entirely undemanding plants, except for the dormant season.
Okay. I may just drop the rest in a bowl I got from wallyworld, and let the ones in the soil be.

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
dougolasjr is offline  
Reply

Tags
aponogeton, bulbs, dirty bowl, walmart

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome