The Planted Tank Forum banner

Using a UV, is it needed?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ThatGuyWithTheFish 
#1 ·
I know they are mainly for marine use but would there be any adverse affects if one was used with a planted tank?

I am thinking of using it to A. keep the water clearer/free from algae spours and B. to wipe out any micro bugs that may be introduced by plants and fish, especially white spot from fish.

Would it be worth using or just over kill?

Thanks

#3 ·
LOL, I just wonder if it will strip out any beneficial nutrients that the plants may need/use..... I would be using a 36w UV on a 1600lh return pump.

#4 ·
I don't believe using it effects fish health or the immune system in any negative way. At one time I had them on all my systems but now use one in portable fashion moving and using it as needed. The tanks still having them hard piped into the filter system have them run for maybe 72hrs a month. They do heat the water a few degrees during use.

Trimming plants, working the substrate stirring things up I'll run it 24hrs. I always use one on my quarantine tank. Green water algae or suspecting a problem I'll run it. If spawning fights result in split fins I flip on the UV. Prior use was 24/7 then I opted to use them on a timer based on turn over flow rate. Now I look at it with a closer eye using them as needed and extending the useful bulb life. I only have to kill what bad things I let into the system.

UV sterilizer use DOES NOT eliminate anything internal to the fish or surface dwelling parasites or bacteria that attach to materals within the tanking system. Say if your tank has BGA (cyanobacteria) as an example UV use won't provide much benefit.
What they will do sized correctly is destroy almost anything organic based that is suspended in the water column. Anything suspended or swimming small enough to be cycled through the chamber the light fries it.
This can greatly reduce the spread of many problems.

edit: Use won't remove mineral salts but will break down some chelating agents based on web reported information. (iron availability)

#5 ·
Thanks for such a detailed reply, based on your reply I think I will go ahead with it but only use for 48/72hrs at a time each time I introduce something new to the system.

Thanks

#6 ·
My thoughts are it nice to have, but if you don't have the funds, it not the end of the world. I have a 36 watt, on my tank, and does it help, not really sure. I don't have any type of green water ever, but I am just getting over nasty case of ich. Fish were in q tank for 3 weeks before going to my primary tank and still got ich. ugh.

#7 ·
I've used a UV sterilizer 24/7 in my planted discus tank for a couple of years now.
Besides dealing with a number of potentially harmful pathogens within a tank, it has many other benefits imo.
It improves/provides water surface agitation maintaining a film-free environment (e.g. discus' shedded slime coatings); assists with good water circulation within the tank; oxygenates; and most of all, helps a great deal in maintaining crystal water clarity at all times.

It's also great when used in conjunction with a properly positioned circulation pump, power head, spray bar, etc., which prevents or deters unwanted algae, e.g., hair/filament, or dust, algae, from attaching to the tank's glass walls, thus keeping it in the water column where the UV can pick it up & destroy it.
I wouldn't be without one.

#8 ·
Great addition for the freshwater planted tank seriously especially if you keep anything delicate like inverts or discus or specialty fish that require more stable clean water. The UV sterilizer really helps kill and minimize green water and algae blooms and BGA outbreaks. It is a extra level of sanitation to the water returning back into the aquarium I would highly recommend one. The Odysea CFS700 I have now has one and it was dirt cheap. A whopping 700 GPH and 9 watt uv for $98 from http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-CFS700-Canister-Filter-with-UV-Sterilizer-p/42051.htm

Here she is:

At night you can see the UV Steri working:

Day:

#10 ·
I don't think you'd need it for the clearest water. As long as you avoid wood, peat, and other tannin leaking stuff and over filter with canister filters, you can have the clearest water you've ever seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.