The Planted Tank Forum banner

New fish room/breeder!!! NEW VIDEO 11-11-13!!!!!

113K views 574 replies 143 participants last post by  Clear Water 
#1 · (Edited)
In the process of building my own fish room something i always wanted to do. I am setting up 20- 75gallon, 30- 29gallon, and 20- 10 gallon. I am going to breed angels, discus, rams, and guppies mainly. I plan on doing some oscars but i have heard they take a little time. The water by me is from a well and has ph of 6.5 so its perfect for South American ciclids. Im getting building spray foamed next weekend and then i will start racks and order tanks.

LIGHTING... All tanks will get cfl bulbs..some 1, some 2.
HEATING.... All tanks will get a heater determined by size of tank.
WATER CHANGES.... I am going to put 1" bulk heads in all tanks and run a water inlet f9r each tank. That way all i have to is turn water on and let it go out. I am going to use a 50 gallon water heater and put a valve on the hot and cold outlet of tank. Then i am going t9 put a temp probe and adjust valves till water mixture is 78 degrees. From thereit will go to water lines throughout the room.
FILTRATION.... setting up central air using linear pump and using sponge filters.

Heres a couple pics of my work so far... any suggestions or concerns will be helpful.

See less See more
#166 ·
Well heres some pics... man am i tired but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel... we also bought a pair of deepwater haps just because we never see them in the store... had to setup 10gallon tank for themin my house for the time being...i know its small but it will have to do..

#172 ·
My intent is too breed enough fish too support me and family. Would love to be able to quit my job and work from home. This originall was only suppose to be half this size. We were going to leave half the room untouched for future use but we figured might as well setup it up now and be done with it. I think as of now we are at about 15 grand. Expecting no more than 20 grand. Im only 26 and my dad is helping me set this up as pretty much an early inheritance. I know im spoiled lol. Oh well.:icon_roll

#185 ·
Dude..... you bypassed fish room and went too fish house.

Just read this whole thing through and I can say this, I think the work you did setting this up is worth the end all product line. Its going to be very laborious to maintain all of that, even with the water changer system.

I wish you the best of luck and success. You have certainly invested and done it all the way.

Never seen so many brand new tanks at one time. Hope you got a deal. The 75 gallon tanks alone had to be a few grand.

#190 ·
1. Awesome, love the stain (dark stain makes it look so much more classier, instantly!) I bet it stinks like stain in there heh... I know my place was really bad for a while even though I stained my stand outside and then brought it back in. I'll assume you're going to add a finish to it as well?

2. Have you fauna you wanted to sell? What's the best out there you could sell for good amounts of money?

Any rare Apistogrammas? I know my LFS sells them and they're definitely going to get my money soon.

3. Finally, I saw your post about you saying you're spoiled. I don't think so. You're going to be running a successful business... the initial costs are nothing compared to the amount of work you'll be putting in. No need to apologize =) It's still hard work!

#192 ·
Yea it does smell pretty bad but i think the smell went from the stain too glue and primer. No matter how i position the fan i always get a big wif of that stuff. I think before its over i will be an addict.

Yes we want to do apitos but we are going to have too order cause the lfs never have any here.

Nice too hear im not spoiled, u know thats the first thing jealous people tell me.

#193 ·
Beautiful job on the new fishroom. You sure put a lot of thought into the layout and it looks great.

Quick question on the drain system though. Is this going to discharge into a sewer system or into a swale on your property? I didn't notice any trap(s) to prevent sewer gas from entering into the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.