New fish room/breeder!!! NEW VIDEO 11-11-13!!!!! - Page 24 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #346 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the help. I deceided yesterday to remove trim and side glass to repair tank that i broke. Im assuming my lfs can order me a new plastic trim cause this one split. Took out broken pane and cleaned all existing silicone off with no problem.

Fluval Pimp #37
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

Make sure to clean the glass with denatured alcohol to get any oils off it before you silicone it. You can leave the trim off if you want I have a few tanks like that. It's mostly just decorative.

Last edited by Pickled_Herring; 08-19-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Trim
post #348 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower

OMG, i hate snakes!
thats crazy, so dangerous
good thing you spotted that thing first
where was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallodoro24 View Post
I think word got out about me breeding something in this building. Already have guests showing up.

5' 3"...11 rattles....biggest one i have ever seen in person!

post #349 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Herring View Post
Make sure to clean the glass with denatured alcohol to get any oils off it before you silicone it. You can leave the trim off if you want I have a few tanks like that. It's mostly just decorative.
Not sure thats the best advice, depending on the brand and size of the tank. Im sure Bgallodoro would want new trim just to make it match the rest of the tanks, and on a 29 gal it may not bust without it, but another member may read it and think they can do it on their 55 or 75 gallon and have issues. just sayin...
post #350 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
Not sure thats the best advice, depending on the brand and size of the tank. Im sure Bgallodoro would want new trim just to make it match the rest of the tanks, and on a 29 gal it may not bust without it, but another member may read it and think they can do it on their 55 or 75 gallon and have issues. just sayin...
Yea u hit the nail on the head. I am going to put it on just for the reason to make it match the rest of the tanks. I also wouldnt trust it without one.

Fluval Pimp #37
post #351 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
I did remove both rims on one of my 75 gals

And yes, now it doesn't match with the other tanks on my breeding shelve.

btw, so jealous of your fish room, its awesome, wish I had the time to do this...

IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #352 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So i have been cycling with ammonia in seed tank for a week now and ammonia levels have not dropped yet. I have also squeezed sponges from established tanks in my house to help. Temp in seed tank is 78 degrees. How long till i can expect ammonia levels to drop?

Fluval Pimp #37
post #353 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
I did remove both rims on one of my 75 gals

And yes, now it doesn't match with the other tanks on my breeding shelve.

btw, so jealous of your fish room, its awesome, wish I had the time to do this...
Wow your brave. I never would have thought you can go rimless on a 75. Seeing is believing right?

Fluval Pimp #37
post #354 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also.... once the sponges are cycled, do i still have to keep seed tank with ammonia level at 4ppm or can i reduce that once original cycle is through?

Fluval Pimp #37
post #355 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just realized it but i finally have a breeding pair of black lace angels in my 90g. They laid their first batch of eggs today. One is twice the size of the other, does that me its a male?

Fluval Pimp #37
post #356 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Also.... once the sponges are cycled, do i still have to keep seed tank with ammonia level at 4ppm or can i reduce that once original cycle is through?
I would think once you get enough tanks running with fish you can use the seed tank for whatever it you need just keep extra sponges running in a few tanks and when you need them they should be good to go
post #357 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

On the angels, I have read that the only way to sex them is during spawning when the Females ovipositor is showing. It will be larger than the male's. I have never heard that typically one sex is bigger than the other in angels...
post #358 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
So i have been cycling with ammonia in seed tank for a week now and ammonia levels have not dropped yet. I have also squeezed sponges from established tanks in my house to help. Temp in seed tank is 78 degrees. How long till i can expect ammonia levels to drop?
Be patient. It can take a few weeks to do this. Raise your temperature a bit as well to aid growth. Raising the temperature is fine since you have no fish. Bacteria also grows faster. Once your ammonia consistently drops after continuously feeding with ammonia, you will then know your bacteria is thriving. Remember that the bacteria we are growing here, grows on surfaces only. Squeezing the sponges won't get you the jump that your thinking. I am sure some will transfer over but not enough to call it a jump. To properly seed a new batch of media, the established filter is best if dropped in adjacent to the new media so that the bacteria can transfer and expand to colonize.

Quote:
2-3ppm is about the lowest I'd go. With as many sponges you will have, you will have a very very hungry batch of bacteria. Your levels would probably be back at 0ppm within a day or so. Low ammonia additions = faster depletion rate. Bacteria doesn't die off all of a sudden once the ammonia is used up. There is a slow drop off so keeping the ammonia levels consistent will prevent the drop off rate.
post #359 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
2-3ppm is about the lowest I'd go. With as many sponges you will have, you will have a very very hungry batch of bacteria. Your levels would probably be back at 0ppm within a day or so. Low ammonia additions = faster depletion rate. Bacteria doesn't die off all of a sudden once the ammonia is used up. There is a slow drop off so keeping the ammonia levels consistent will prevent the drop off rate.
Most of the fishless cycling guides state that when a normal tank can convert 4-5ppm ammonia to nitrate, then it is done. With the amount of sponges in the tank, there is much less water volume per sponge consequently a much smaller colony would be present.

To build up the sponges to the same level as a single-sponge-per-tank fishless cycles, you'd need significantly more ammonia. I would think at the larges BB sizes, you'd likely need to feed many times a day or better yet break into the smaller tanks and let them finish cycling.

The flip side of this is that everything should have some BB and when they move into their individual tanks, will be nicely seeded. I would be monitoring the water once I stock tanks for depending on stockings, might over whelm the BB. If your tanks are lightly stocked, it might not be an issue.

[75g high tech -- 20g shrimp jungle -- 130g bow-front build WIP ]
post #360 of 573 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Algae Grower

Time for some new pictures

Eheim pimp #517

Eheim 2126 thermofilter

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187678

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode