It's been about 3 weeks now that this disastrous incident happened. I have finally "somewhat" moved on and am able to share the story. In the beginning of the month (April), I wanted to rescape my 50G tank (here is the journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...han-green.html
). Even though the tank has been great since last year, I wanted something different.
It was fun (getting all the stuff clean up). I was pretty happy with the new look. Then I started to adjust CO2. Also I am using the splitter to distribute 50G and 10G tanks. After a few days, I realized that I needed to do more tweaking as the CO2 wasn't coming up enough. After fixing it, I woke up in the morning, and I saw the CO2 didn't turned off. However, I didn't see any issue with my fish. They were still happy and looked healthy. Well, more tweaking needed obviously.
At this point, I am still trying to find out what's actually happened. I was basically trying to get all working together (timer, splitter, cylinder valve, regulators). Somewhere along the line, I made a huge mistake. I left the tanks for less than 3 hours, and when I got home, this is what I found:
I was shocked, sad, angry, pissed off, etc. It was a disaster. I tried to rescue some, but they didn't survive.
As I told you earlier, this CO2 was connected to another 10G tank. I lost all of my fish there as well. What's even more sad news, I was loosing a battle with brown algae on that tank.
After a month:
So yeah, it was painful. As far as the fish casualties from both tanks, I lost all these:
Neon Tetras (x 40)
ForkedTail Rainbow (x 4)
SAE (x 6)
Corry (x 4)
Bumble bee Gobi (x 2)
Pseudomugil gertrudae (x 4)
Rummy Nose (x6)
CPD (x 6)
Scarlet Badis (x 6)
So yeah, I was considering to drop out of this hobby. But guess what, if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. I will comeback even better and I have learned hard way. I thought that CO2 disasters would never happen to me. Yes, it could happen to anyone. I just hope that this might be an eye opening for fellow hobbyist, since I do not want this to happen to anyone. Be careful on CO2.
LIFE GOES ON,