Always, a big algae problem means too much light and too little CO2. Your tank is about 22 inches high, so with 2 inches of substrate, the light will be 20 inches from the substrate. Unless you have a very cheap light fixture you have high to very high light intensity. You don't need that much light to grow anything. If you can run the light with only one bulb, and use feet to hold it 3 inches or so above the top of the tank, you will have a much more usable level of light. And, after you clean up the existing algae, it will be much harder for it to come back. Excess fertilizers don't cause algae.
If the light will only run with both bulbs on, you can suspend it about 8-10 inches above the top of the tank, and also get a reasonable usable light level, letting you grow any plants you want.