I used it on pond snails, not MTS. I just followed the multi-day dosing schedule on the package.
This article implies its a neural paralytic which sort of agrees with what I saw in the tank
The snails sort of just hang out of their shells and flop around. It takes several days to kill them so I would dose right after your regular water change to get maximum exposure until the next water change. Dont expect to see an immediate massacre. It sort of happens in slow motion.
The water turns initially cloudy but turns clear after a couple hours. It also becomes somewhat foamy.
Also, do a second dose several weeks after the first to catch any stragglers.
Thank you for the information. That's very helpful. Sounds like my best bet is to remove the existing substrate, treat for MTS for a week or so to ensure that I got the babies from the filtration, and then put in the new substrate.
How big are the shells? Just curious as I am looking for homes for some Tanganyikan shell dwellers.
The shells are regular MTS snail size. Much too small for Tang shell dwellers.
They are annoying if you do not want them, other snails are fairly easy to get rid of, MTS's.......much harder.
Over feeding etc...........if you have bottom dwelling shy nocturnal fish....the MTS will live no matter how sparingly you add food.
It's not a balance issue in that case.
I have a few in mty 180, never have been able to get rid out them, even with massive Assassin Snail additions.
Thanks, Tom. I tested this out a couple of years ago by putting MTS in a bucket of dechlorinated water and rocks... just plain, clean rocks. I did nothing else. No food whatsoever. The darn MTS not only survived that way for a couple of months, but they multiplied. That made it clear enough to me that overfeeding had nothing to do with having MTS.
My problem is that they have just accumulated over the years, and even though various control measures have helped to control the visible numbers, they still left their shells all over the place.
Most difficult has been controlling them in the canister filters. They release their babies which go to the surface of the water and then get sucked in by my surface strainer. From there, they go directly into the canister where they grow and breed. I clean them out as best I can, but the tiny babies are next to impossible to remove from filter media without destroying the bacteria.
So this is why I'm wanting to give No Planaria a try. I want to stop the substrate-tank-filter cycle of these things. A few of them here and there aren't a problem, but they add up over the years.