For the past several months I've been doing dozens of experiments on hob plant candidates. I've tested numerous common and exotic tropical species
Plectranthus 'Mona lavender'
The goldfish vine did really well and it's pretty much flowered since day one. It doesn't need much light and all mine gets is leftover runoff from overhead t5's, nowhere near a window.
The lipstick vine was very finicky and it's grown foliage nicely but no flowers. It took forever to root.
The peace lily I've rooted 3 different times, all successful, all flowering non-stop.
The pothos has rooted itself in 2 different tanks and completely wiped out all of the floating plants in one of those two. It out competed duckweed and singlehandedly killed it all off.
The English Ivy hasn't done well at all, I've tried it in 2 different tanks, all the new growth dies off quickly but the old growth looks healthy.
The spider plant took a long time to root and half of the plants rotted to death before the remaining plants rooted. The 2 survivors have been dangling on death's door for weeks but now I'm seeing some good signs of life. I'll have to give the plant some more time to see what happens.
The anthuriums I actually just got last Saturday, they haven't done much yet but the plant looks healthy and it's still flowering so we'll see.
The Hoya rooted great but growth has been painfully slow. It's had a flower bud on it for a month now but it has yet to open. In 4 months it's grown 2 single leaves.
Croton Petra was an utter failure. I threw it out yesterday, it never managed to root and it rotted into a mess.
The ficus, burgundy rubber tree, not bonsai or anything, has grown nicely. It rooted in 2 weeks and it's doubled in size over the past month.
The plectranthus took 3 tries. The first two died. The third rooted and just budded with flowers. The trick is to use unrooted cuttings and root it in water only. Try not to get the leaves or stems wet until the plant gets its water roots. I rooted mine in a cup of water and then transplanted it into an hob.
The monsters rotted to mush. I used soil-rooted mature specimen but I've seen pictures of people online that have done it successfully.
Next I'm going to try schefflera, money tree, ferns, orchids, etc.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App