The Planted Tank Forum banner

This can't be good?

675 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  HD Blazingwolf 
#1 ·
In my 75g, open top tank, it appears there are little white dots jumping around on the surface of the water...thoughts about what they are? never had them before, not sure what kind of insects they might be, and am wondering if i should be concerned for my fish.

I added some new plants bought from the SNS about a week ago, but other than that, nothing's changed?

#5 ·
... on the surface of the water.
On the surface? So, have you confirmed that these are actually some living critters, i.e. they have bodies, legs etc? Because it is a rather typical occurrence when gas bubbles escape from the water, they produce extremely small droplets of water that shoot up from the surface. (Pretty much the same effect can be observed over a freshly poured glass of soda.) For an unprepared observer this might look like small insects jumping on the surface. In reality it is just very small water "dots" that appear when a gas bubble collapses at the surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.