Betta vs. the Fluval Edge - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
BarleyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 50
Betta vs. the Fluval Edge

On several forums, including this one, when someone mentions putting a betta in a Fluval Edge, concerns are raised over whether or not the betta will be able to find the small opening in order to breath.

I wanted to start a thread to gather some anecdotal evidence from folks who have kept or know someone who's kept a betta in either the 6 or 12 gallon Fluval Edge. My hope is that with more real experiences reported, folks will be able to make an informed decision rather than one based on speculation.

From the very few personal experiences I've read so far, success seems to rely on the individual betta. Most report their betta has no problem finding the hole, but I know of at least one person who says their betta just could not learn where it was, so he took him out.

I have the 12 gallon Edge, and my betta has not had any trouble at all finding the hole. He's very smart and adventurous, though, and there isn't a nook or cranny--top, bottom, or in-between--that he doesn't explore or hang out in.

Someone mentioned possibly training a troubled betta by placing a covering on the glass parts of the top so the only light source is the opening. That sounds like a good idea to me.

Since there seems to be evidence going both ways, my advice to anyone wanting to try a betta in an Edge is to make sure you can monitor him for several hours until he seems to learn where the hole is and be prepared to lower the water level or re-house him if he can't.

So, betta/Edge owners, what has been your experience?

--Chris in Pensacola, FL
Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Ok, my only thing with this is... Its a fish! yes betta can breathe surface air due to their labyrinth lung, but thats a evolution thing allowing them to live in dirty low oxygenated water or in someones tank with to much co2 lol. point is they have gills as well, as long as the water is oxygenated they shouldn't need to hit the surface... Just my opinion

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Got dirt?
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Ok, my only thing with this is... Its a fish! yes betta can breathe surface air due to their labyrinth lung, but thats a evolution thing allowing them to live in dirty low oxygenated water or in someones tank with to much co2 lol. point is they have gills as well, as long as the water is oxygenated they shouldn't need to hit the surface... Just my opinion

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Sorry brother, Bettas are special fish.

Quote:
Even though Bettas do well in waters low in dissolved oxygen, that does not mean they require less oxygen than other fish. Bettas have a special respiratory organ that allows them to breath air directly from the surface. In fact they inherently must do so. In experiments where the labyrinth organ was removed, the fish died from suffocation even though the water was saturated with oxygen. For this reason, Bettas must have access to the water surface to breath air directly from the atmosphere.
Daximus is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 703
I aslo mentioned the idea that betta have gills they can use.

Every source I've beeen able to find about this topic agrees that betta can use their gills in well oxygenated aquariums.

but on this site, for some reason, nobody agrees.

I am going to be testing the theory soon I think, to settle this once and for all.
reignOfFred is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Sorry brother, Bettas are special fish.
never seen that. thats interesting but makes me wonder to that if removing that lung could have caused other issues? like maybe its tied to their ability to process oxygen to? be curious to know more.

I say that because a paradise fish I had never hit the surface and they have the same lung

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Got dirt?
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
never seen that. thats interesting but makes me wonder to that if removing that lung could have caused other issues? like maybe its tied to their ability to process oxygen to? be curious to know more.

I say that because a paradise fish I had never hit the surface and they have the same lung

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Heck I don't know. The subject posted got me curious and I googled it, that quote was from the first reputable looking site I came across. I'm far from a biologist, lol.

Perhaps all the insane breeding we (people) have done has made them less adaptable?
Daximus is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Heck I don't know. The subject posted got me curious and I googled it, that quote was from the first reputable looking site I came across. I'm far from a biologist, lol.

Perhaps all the insane breeding we (people) have done has made them less adaptable?
bah I find your argument invalid! lol.

It is curious.... Hmm research time

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
BarleyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 50
I'm not sure we're focusing on the right issue here. I don't know whether or not bettas HAVE to breathe air, but they do. Whether they have to or not, they do it, and that seems to make for a happier, less stressed fish. Bettas can also live in tiny cups in fish stores and in tiny bowls. That doesn't make them happy fish.

This thread is really for posting what Edge owners have experienced who've kept bettas. Are their bettas coping with the small opening or not.

--Chris in Pensacola, FL
Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
@marko@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: livingston, nj
Posts: 5,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Ok, my only thing with this is... Its a fish! yes betta can breathe surface air due to their labyrinth lung, but thats a evolution thing allowing them to live in dirty low oxygenated water or in someones tank with to much co2 lol. point is they have gills as well, as long as the water is oxygenated they shouldn't need to hit the surface... Just my opinion

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
opinion<fact
bettas can (and do) drown. i had one drown when it got itself caught in the hairnet i was using to tie moss onto a piece of wood (now i only use string).
they evolved the labyrinth organ to breath air, but their gills are no longer (if they were ever) capable of supplying all the oxygen the fish needed.
it would be like a person with only 1/4 of a lung, they would still suffocate, just a little slower.
@marko@ is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Got dirt?
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyBear View Post
I'm not sure we're focusing on the right issue here. I don't know whether or not bettas HAVE to breathe air, but they do. Whether they have to or not, they do it, and that seems to make for a happier, less stressed fish. Bettas can also live in tiny cups in fish stores and in tiny bowls. That doesn't make them happy fish.

This thread is really for posting what Edge owners have experienced who've kept bettas. Are their bettas coping with the small opening or not.
Sorry for the derailment.
Daximus is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
opinion<fact
bettas can (and do) drown. i had one drown when it got itself caught in the hairnet i was using to tie moss onto a piece of wood (now i only use string).
they evolved the labyrinth organ to breath air, but their gills are no longer (if they were ever) capable of supplying all the oxygen the fish needed.
it would be like a person with only 1/4 of a lung, they would still suffocate, just a little slower.
thats just crazy, I am going to have to do some reading

However if he got caught in a hair net, did it starve/ injure or suffocate?


And yes sorry for the derailment!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
BarleyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 50
Please keep the discussion on topic. Of the 10 posts to this thread, none have responded to the request in the original post. If you want to debate whether or not bettas can drown, please start a new thread to do so.

Bettas breathe air whether they have to or not. Most Edge owners report bettas do fine in their tanks. Some report they do not and the fish seem stressed. However, many people caution against keeping a betta in an Edge. I'm trying to gather first-hand experience to see if that precaution is warranted or not. My betta has no problem, but it is a concern that comes up again and again.

I wanted this thread to gather first hand experience from other betta/Edge owners, so folks can make a more informed decision instead of relying on cautionary tales and rumors.

Thanks.

--Chris in Pensacola, FL
Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyBear View Post
Please keep the discussion on topic. Of the 10 posts to this thread, none have responded to the request in the original post. If you want to debate whether or not bettas can drown, please start a new thread to do so.

Bettas breathe air whether they have to or not. Most Edge owners report bettas do fine in their tanks. Some report they do not and the fish seem stressed. However, many people caution against keeping a betta in an Edge. I'm trying to gather first-hand experience to see if that precaution is warranted or not. My betta has no problem, but it is a concern that comes up again and again.

I wanted this thread to gather first hand experience from other betta/Edge owners, so folks can make a more informed decision instead of relying on cautionary tales and rumors.

Thanks.
i don't have my betta in an edge, but are you sure the stress is from the lack of an area to breathe at the surface, like did the betta owners with stressed bettas in fluval edges acknowledge that as the reason? some bettas supposedly don't do well in a larger tank, like if you move it from a gallon tank to a ten gallon thing, it'll freak out and not adapt to living in the larger environment. most bettas seem to do fine in the larger space, but.
CatB is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
BarleyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 50
That's a good question. I've asked the person who posted that experience to join the conversation here.

--Chris in Pensacola, FL
Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
BarleyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 50
He did specifically say the betta couldn't find the opening and freaked out. He removed him after a couple of days because he was too stressed.

--Chris in Pensacola, FL
Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome