The Planted Tank Forum banner

Types of Wood Suitable for Aquatic Use

913 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  zenche 
#1 ·
I tried to think about where to make this thread...closest I could find would be Aquascaping, but really I wonder if there could be a "wood & stones" sub forum somewhere.

Anyway, for wood, everyone here knows about manzanita and malaysian driftwood. But what else would do well for aquatic use? ideally, the wood should be good for at least a year.

with my 75g, i've been experimenting with mitsumata because i wanted things that looked like willow branches. mitsumata unfortunately, isn't viable for long term use. it's already deteriorating in my tank, and it's just been a month.

anyone else have experience/knowledge they'd like to share? I'm also curious about bonzai wood if anyone's played around with that.

#4 ·
So long as the pine is not green and sap laden, I don't think there is much a problem. I think that the problem is that pine sap(resin, tar, what have you) is a rather strong disinfectant on its own.

I've heard grape vine rots quickly in the aquarium but have no experience with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.