The Planted Tank Forum banner

55 vs 75 gallons

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  zenche 
#1 ·
with petco's $/gallon sale...the 55 looks pretty tempting from a cost perspective.

but the overall dimensions of the 75 seem so much more....proportional from a scaping perspective, but obviously costs more than 1/gallon.

even considered a couple 90 gallons i've seen in ads...but am a little intimidated by their size :p

I can't deal with anything longer than 48" in the space I have to potentially put another tank in. Gonna fill this next tank with 4-6 large angelfish and maybe a small school of something.

Anything opinions about which size?

#4 ·
Well, the 55 is a bargain price, but the other tanks are 18 inches wide and the aquascape will be a lot better.

I usually consider the tank to be comparatively low in price, compared to what you'll spend on everything else. My choice would be the larger and wider tanks.

#7 ·
I personally had to make this choice on the last sale they had, between a 75 and a 55 gallon, I went with a 75 gallon and Im very happy I did. My Co2 regulator cost more then the tank its self, So in the long run go bigger, you will just wish you would of spent the extra 50-100$ on the larger tank because except for the substrate you need nearly they same equipment for the 55 as the 75

#10 ·
Get the 75. I have a 45H and while the 24" height is nice for watching fish swim around, I'd trade it for a 40B in an instant. I'm seriously considering getting a 75 soon if I can't swing the expense of a 60x24x24 150gal.

The length:height aspect ratio of 2.5:1 looks very nice proportionally.

The 20L, 40B, 75, 150 all have that nice ratio IMO.

#11 ·
yea, gonna go with a 75. though i can't find any 75's for just $25 more than a 55G :(

worked something out via craigslist...a 75g + stand + an eheim + heater for $200 delivered. ...the delivery is key since i don't have a car that would fit anything bigger than just a 55g much less a stand.

attached will be delivered wednesday :)

Attachments

#12 ·
The 18"-24" width is very nice. I would not consider the std 55, unless a tight budget is your reality. If it is that tight, I'd say stay away from fish/plant keeping in general until you can pour money into the hobby... ;)

You mention keeping a nice school of Angel's... I'd really look at the 90. The extra height is nice.... I'd also keep an eye on Craig's List in your area. Likely there are many opportunities to cash in on someone's escape strategy. Also this is a "greener" approach in that it recycles and keeps the money "in the family."

As far as weight concerns go, Most floor joists will easily support the weight of a tank/water/gear up to about 120 gallons... Past that the pounds per square inch gets into the red zone. If you would not hesitate to have four of your fattest friends stand in a 3x4 foot area, then you should not worry about a tank.

*edit* Just read your latest post. Glad to hear your going with C-list. Congrats!

#13 ·
thanks!

I had a potential 90G in the works, but the stand the guy has with it was too large for my space (who puts a 48"L tank on a 68"L stand?)...and w/o the stand he was asking for $500 still....not worth it when I can get a 75 with stand delivered for less than half that. I'm too impatient to wait for another 90G to come along on craigslist :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.