The Planted Tank Forum banner

Last push to win the RAOK. New pics updated 8/21. Page 6

7K views 90 replies 29 participants last post by  demonr6 
#1 · (Edited)
Still trying to build interest in the thread. I ended up taking the GIANT ball of Baby Tears and securing it to the rock below it. Also, I removed all the water wisteria from the left side as this has become something of a nuisance.

So this is my thread to try and win this insane RAOK. Please help me generate some interest by posting compliments, encouragement, etc.

Here is my 75 gallon tank!

Later tonight I will post pictures of the rest of my tanks to keep the excitement up!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Tank is a 75 gallon with gravel substrate and a layer of play sand on top and plants being: Anubias, Cabomba Furcata, Cabomba, Bacopa, Jungle Val, Aponogeton Ulvaceus, Hygro Carymbosa, Hygro Difformis, Ludwigia, and Baby Tears.

Fish stock is 5 Roseline Sharks, cory cats, ottos, Turquoise and Parkinson Rainbows, Gold Gourami, Electric Blue and Comet Rams, SAE, and BN plecs.

I use a variation of EI dosing based upon my own plant growth results.

#10 ·
This is where I want to incorporate this awesome RAOK. It is a breeding rack with a 20 high on top, 20L in the middle, and two 10s on the bottom. The top has Tiger Barbs (only managed one successful breed thus far), the middle has a pair of GBRs (check out my thread on that one), the bottom left has BN plecs that I have raised SOOOO many out of, and the bottom right has Elegant Cories that I have yet to start trying to breed, but plan to shortly.

I would like to convert all these tanks into injected planted ones with this RAOK. I only need a multi-way CO2 splitter and I'll be in awesome shape. Hopefully this comes through and I can bring this operation to total success!

Attachments

#17 ·
Here is some close up pictures of what I would be using this awesome set up on. The first in the GBR breeding pair, followed by my Tiger Barb tank, my bristlenose breeding tank, and lastly, this is where I would like to start breeding the handful of elegant cory's that are in this tank. Obviously DIY CO2 would be an extremely large operation on this multi-tank scale, so being able to split a pressurized system would be awesome.

Both of the top tanks would be perfect for some good dwarf hairgrass, or dwarf baby tears. I would really like to see a nice lawn in both of these tanks and without good CO2 this would be very difficult. The lawn would look perfect I think being split by the sand pathway, which I don't really know how to hide the dividers on. I am also a big fan of bacopa stems and would like to see a forest of them in the cory cat tank. Best of all, this CO2 would let me put my pH lower were my GBR's would thrive, rather than my standard 7.5

These are basically open for all sorts of creativity and more suggestions would be awesome.

Attachments

#19 ·
The top rack bends just slightly. The shelves are rated at 350 pounds fully dispersed and I think the boards for the top two tanks do a good job and equalizing the weight. With twenty gallons on each shelf I'm looking at 250 pounds max.

As for the bottom tanks not having corner support, I did initially worry about that. However, I have seen it done enough times to be comfortable with it. The tanks don't ever move so hopefully all goes well :)

#23 ·
have you considered the fact that with co2 your stock might not breed as readily? i ask because keeping shrimp with co2 running i get less breeding going on then i would without. i don't know if this breeding habit applies to fish as well but it might be something to look forward to. most people get asked what their goal is. most either want a really great looking high-tech planted tank and the fish are secondary, or, some want the fish to be the main focal point, like with angels and discus and such. It is not impossible to get the happy medium but most that go high tech co2, like i did, want to emphasize the plants and the tank as a whole and not the fish themselves.

2 cents...

#24 ·
Yea I hear you on that. I'm fairly confident that the cory, tiger barb, and gbr species will do pretty well with the addition as they are not especially hard to breed. I think creating a much denser, natural planted tank will provide the better environment. Plus, I know the gbr pair will appreciate the lower pH. Thanks for the advice. In the end though, the planted tank will reign supreme.

#37 ·
Well wishes from here.

Got married to the right gal this time. Been great ever since. Third times a charm. First died in Africa. Long story.

Congrates on the engagement. Guppies to come later. :)
Hey thanks a lot! Yea this is definitely a big step, but after three years and a few tight situations I am confident this will go to forever! Sorry to hear about your first wife Wespastor, glad everything is good now :)

Heading off to church right now, but I'll get some good pics of the fish later this afternoon. I volunteer at the church BBQ every Sunday so I go an hour early to set up and stay an hour late to serve.

#38 ·
I like your 75g. Personally I like alot more hardscape, driftwood, rocks, etc. That being said I'm not as good at planting as you are, so I need the hardscape for transitions. Your plans for your other tanks would definately be awesome and something I would follow. My wife is at her limit withthe tanks, the space they take up and the time I spend on them. Unfortunately a rack isn't feasable as I have a 75g, a 46g bow, and a 29g in addition to my 10g and 20g. I had to put the 10 in my closet!! Luckily I have a big closet.
Congrats on the engagement. My first marriage tore me up and I had to see a therapist and take quite a long period of time off of work. I swore I would never become attached to a woman again much less get married. My wife (we were married on May 13) spent 3 years patiently changing my mind. I know I did it right this time. It's amazing what the right woman can do for you! Good luck on the RAOK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.