Who's eating my Staurogyne repens? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Who's eating my Staurogyne repens?

I have 4 angels, a bolivian ram, a betta, 2 zebra snails, a few assorted tetra and a ton of MTS in my 75g. I purchased some Staurogyne repens a few weeks back and someone is eating it! Every morning since planting it I've been find half of my stems ripped out and floating at the surface. NOW, I'm finding all the new and old growth with chunks missing from there leaves! They're getting nibbled in from the ends or it looks like someone just took a bite off the side of the leaf in a perfect semicircle. This is the only plant I'm having issues with. So, who's doing it? Cause I cant figure it out...

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

It was me.... sorry! Lol

But in all seriousness, my guess would be the angels. I have 5 angelfish along with some assorted tetras and rasboras. Everything is usually fine but every once in a while, especially when I haven't fed the Angelfish yet, they like to nip off chunks of plant. They usually like to destroy the easier leaves on my hygrophila. But I have caught my koi angel destroying a small val I had. Literally ripping it apart and taking chunks. Next day, that plant was down to the base with pieces everywhere and a second plant was uprooted. They have been rather good lately and haven't done anything like that in a long time now. Every once in a while, they pick on a hygro leaf and leave little bite marks in it, like you described. So from my experience, I say watch out for the Angelfish, it could very well just be them snacking on some vegetation.

My 75 Gallon Planted Angelfish Tank Journal
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That would make sense. The bite marks are about as big as there mouths. I wonder if my MTS are uprooting my Stars while digging through the substrate and the angels are having a midnight snack while the plants are floating?

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I doubt anyone of them are eating it, it can melt, it can lose leaves, it can get holes in leaves etc........and none of it has to do with the fish.

Once it is established and is growing well, there's little issue.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

See, thats the problem. I had One beautiful stem thats been holding steady and growing. Today...a day later the entire top of the plant looks like someone got hungry.

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Come to think of it, I had three really nice stems coming in and it seems like all three over night got chewed on. The other dozen or so stems never have a chance to grow cause they keep coming out of the substrate.

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey tim, check out this thread. I don't know how I got them. But they probably hitch hiked in with something. They wreaked havoc on my staurogyne patch too. I finally got rid of them by gassing them to death.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...-pictures.html
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'll take a closer look and see if those are causing the problem. Thanks everyone.

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Rams would chow those, I've got electric blues that nail shrimp that are too dumb not to hide, and checkerboard cichlids that do the same.
Anything worm lie they'd be all over. And if they missed the cap's, the plecos I know would munch them. The goldie plecos and the others are lawnmowers.

Still....if the stems are nice and have been okay all along and then it looks as if something chewed them.........but that livestock list is not going to get much plant eating support.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well...I dont know about my Star. stems, BUT I caught a Zebra snail chowing down on my HC!!

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tom, If the plants are melting is there anything I can do to help prevent them from melting? Or is it just something I have to sit and wait out?

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK, so I've tried AGAIN with some Staurogyne Repens and the SAME EXACT problem AGAIN! This time nothing's been touching them and my MTS population is down to nothing. These stems were bigger and just as healthy as the other batch. This time the top leaves are staying attached but the lower/older leaves have either completely dropped off or look like the same bite marks. What is going on? I thought this plant was supposed to be easy!

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Plant Clown

What types of "a few assorted tetra" do you have? I have a handful of beautiful Buenos Aires Tetra that I bought a good while back, before I read up on them, and they're supposedly notorious plant nom-nom'ers. I keep them in my QT tank with just ferns and mosses out of fear of what they might do to the rest of my plants.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Little guys, Rummy nose, Zebra Danios, 2 Rosey Barbs.

Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Rosy barbs will eat plants, angels will eat plants.

Stauro loses its leaves when it melts and the stems are sort of brittle. If lower leaves are coming off that is melting. Fish prefer young leaves to old ones. They don't melt like crypts, stauro leaves sort of look cooked and then fall off whole and still green.

I bury broken stems all the way down to the very top couple of leaves to keep them down if they don't have those nice long roots yet. Even if the stems look well anchored they come up again within the next couple days otherwise.

Hang in there, the stems will sprout long strong roots and stop coming up and then develop new leaves and shoots. My stauro looked horrible when I switched tanks but then was the first to recover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode