The Planted Tank Forum banner

Figuring out PPM?

880 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sharkfood 
#1 ·
I've a "berried" amano that I'd like to try rearing baby shrimps from...

since they need brackish water, I'm gonna use my 12G to experiment. from what i've read online, i'm going to aim for 33ppm salinity... cept i don't know how to get there?

how much salt (using epsom) will i need to add to my 12G to get it to a 33 ppm salinity?

anyone? :)

#2 ·
I've got the same thing going on here. My lfs does does saltwater too, so I am planning on buying saltwater for $1/1gal. Wait two weeks after they become berried, then wait for her to release the eggs. Then, slowly add saltwater to the tank everyday until it's straight up saltwater. Then just wait. But I don't know how long to wait until you move them back to freshwater. Hopefully someone with personal exp will post. Good luck!

#3 ·
Search around the forum. I think somebody did actually have swimming larvae but they died off probably because the lack of food.

to your question
use this forumla

milligram = ppm * liter

plug in your target ppm in ppm and tank volume in liter. You will get milligram. Divide that by 1000 to get gram.

#4 ·
I personally would use marine salt instead of epsom salt since it has far more appropriate levels of trace elements like you would find in real brackish water. if you use straight epsom your magnesium levels will be off the chart and your PH through the roof.

#6 ·
I'm not sure I understand 33ppm salinity. Is that the sodium level of the water? 33ppm is probably about the net amount of salts used as fertilizer in an EI dosed tank over the course of a day or two.

In my past experience with saltwater, it was always measured by specific gravity. SG measuring floats are cheap, and readily available at most aquarium stores.

I know my EC meter reads around 200ppm from my tap water, and it's most definitely fresh water. It's primarily calcium and magnesium in our local water.

Epsom salt is magnesium and sulfur, and is often dosed at high levels to relieve constipation in fish. Dosing to 33ppm with epsom salt would keep animals from getting bound up, but would not be in any way similar to the mineral profile of normal brackish or sea water.

Maybe I don't understand the units of measurement that lead to a level of 33ppm salinity (haven't kept saltwater in years), but what you're about to do sounds a bit strange to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.