The Planted Tank Forum banner

Back to the PT Obsession after a 6 yr hiatus!

592 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  wkndracer 
#1 ·
Hi All,

By way of introduction, I'm Tony, and I was an active member of AGA and various other forums before PT came about. Based on browsing, it sure seems like planted tanks have surged in popularity and technique. A lot due to Amano no doubt. I recall the buzz when his books first got widely viewed by AGA members! Hopefully some of my old friends are alive and well on this forum!

I used to be a fairly active plant trader and poster, but got out of the hobby for spell shortly after getting married when we moved into our first house etc. Now, almost 8 yrs later, I am in my 2nd house, have 3 yo twin boys and barley have any free time. What a perfect time to get back into planted tanks!! :)

During the last move, I got rid of all but one measly 5g tank which I just re-discovered and setup as a low-tech tank so my kids could see "Dorthy Fish" every day! Within days, I was pining for a big tank to 'scape and maintain.

In the not too distant future, I hope to start a journal for the new tank I will be starting - it will either be a 5' 120H or a standard 4' 120. I'm sure I'll have questions about some of the new options in lighting and substrate!

Cheers for now,

Tony

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny...I just got back into my aquarium/fish hobby after 8 years of marriage. My 4yo loves fish and got me back into it...and now i've fallen in love with the planted tanks. I think my wife thinks i've gone off the deep end...constantly looking at websites about "plants"!

Reading your post was like reading my own story (minus the twins). It's amazing how much has changed in 8 years...I'm looking forward to your future setup. Mine has been a VERY rewarding experience...it's insane how much GREAT advice you can find here...so much easier than when I was younger.

#3 ·
I took the opposite route. took a break from the hobby for 8 years, became un-married, then went from 46G bowfront, to 75G cichlid tank to 220G cichlid tank in the living room, to 600G Koi pond, to 2nd 3000G Koi pond and now back to 75G high tech planted. It's amazing what can be done with plenty of time on your hands. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.