Wanted to muck around with my tank on Sat. Drove to 5 pet stores and WalMart, and couldn't find any flourite. Being an impatient idiot, I decided on a mixture of a pound of laterite and 10 pounds of very fine gravel.
Scooped out maybe 1/3 of my existing gravel and several rocks. Also pulled all of my anubias for replanting. Good vacuuming, with removal of perhaps 30% water.
After rinsing the laterite in a bucket outside with a hose (can you EVER get it to run clear?!), added laterite where I would be planting my anubias, then added the new sand/gravel and planted the anubias, covering with the old gravel.
Put laterite on the surface around my crypts, val, and sag. Then pushed it down with my finger. Did same with sand/gravel to mix substrate. Relocated some of the crypts slightly and built up the substrate under them while doing this - lifting them while working mixed substrate under them.
Water was slightly cloudy at first, cleared throughout the afternoon, and was crystal clear the next a.m.
It was fun to do, probably took less than an hour, and I'm pleased with the results. Have to wait to see if any improvement in plant growth.
BIL and I took some photos. A couple turned out okay - I'm trying to mess with getting them hosted over on bravenet. Will post them when I get a chance.
Thanks for all the help, guys.