The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need help in resolving cloudy water(I am sure it happened due to Bacteria bloom)

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  WhiteRaven 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am growing HC Cuba in my tank. It has been 1 week(it's not new tank setup, its my fifth attempt trying to grow HC. Previous attempt were failed due to low light and liquid CO2). In this attempt,I have added 2 nos 18W Led bulbs 6500K and diy CO2(Yeast + Sugar). However I am facing the issue of Bacterial bloom as my tank is turning cloudy every time i change the water about 50%. 2 days back I completely changed the water, added RO water, replaced filter media and washed filter completely. Yet I face bacterial bloom in 2 days. I am sure it's not algae. After changing the water, on first day water was clear. But, eventually water has turned into cloudy. Please help me in solving the issue. I am adding 5ml fertilizer on every two days.

Also, could someone please let me know the PAR(Photosynthetic active radiation) value of 18W Led bulb in cloudy water? Will HC grow without dying in cloudy water. Is 18W 6500K enough for HC.

Tank Setup:
15 gallon tank
Plants : HC cuba
TDS : 131
PH : 7.4
GH and KH : No data
CO2 : diy setup(Yeast + sugar)(on for 24 hours)
Light : 2nos LED bulbs(18W)-6500K
Fertilizer : 5ml every 2 days.
Fish & shrimp : 12 Neon tetras and 8 RCS

I have attached photos. Please help me in resolving the issue of bacterial bloom without disturbing the plants. If not possible, let me know if HC can survive in cloudy water.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
When you replaced filter media,you probably lost sizeable portion of bacteria which would induce a bacteria bloom.
Would just clean filter material in tank water from water changes, or dechlorinated water always.
Might wonder what substrate is? If it contain's any organic matter,and substrate is disturbed,then the organic matter released (ammonia), could also trigger green water in addition to bacteria bloom.
Just need to wait out bacteria bloom and dial lighting period back to maybe 6 hour's total for the day for a couple week's.
Water changes won't help much if it is truly bacteria bloom ,just need patience.
Would keep with DIY CO2,fertilizer's,and once a week water change with dechlorinated water.
Might also raise the two light's a little higher from the surface of the water.
I could not guess at what PAR you are realizing but I do not think the plant's or fishes would suffer om raising the light's a couple/three inches.
My two cent's.

#4 ·
Thank you @Smooch and @roadmaster for suggestions.
@Smooch :
No i don't overfeed. I feed once a day(morning only). How to measure organics? My tds meter shows 131ppm. Not aware of ammonia and nitrate levels as I don't have measurement tools.
@roadmaster:
Am using ada aquasoil. But as it is 5th attempt. I think it has been old. I still don't know if it contains organic matter or not. Could you please fill me how lighting increase bacterial bloom. And, won't HC cuba affect if i raise as it needs high light.

And I heard somewhere, less light will reach the bottom of the tank if water is cloudy. I am scared as I don't want HC cuba die this time.

Thank you.

#5 ·
Thank you @Smooch and @roadmaster for suggestions.

@Smooch :
No i don't overfeed. I feed once a day(morning only). How to measure organics? My tds meter shows 131ppm. Not aware of ammonia and nitrate levels as I don't have measurement tools.

You need to get some test kits. Ammonia is toxic and kills fish. If this a issue of having too much organic matter, you won't know unless you test for it. Either way, green water is a husbandry issue. It is a form of algae which means it is sapping light and food from your plants which will kill them if this problem is not addressed.

I would start with doing water changes a few times a week until the problem clears. If there is any gunk at the bottom of the tank, it needs to be siphoned and removed. Leaving it there is feeding the algae. As for filter cleaning, the only thing you should be doing from this point until the issue clears is gently rinsing filter sponges to get rid of the slime that tends to collect with green water.

#6 ·
I do not think high level's of ammonia are presently at play lest the fishes and shrimp's be dead or dying.
Just think the lighting is too much,and bacteria bloom at play along with possibly small level's of ammonia.
Lighting won't affect bacterial bloom, but will affect free floating algae spores.

#10 ·
Like you suggested, If I provide the light for 6 hours and food for fish every 3 days and fertilizer every week, how long will it last(just approximate). Because, I don't want to clean the tank again from scratch.

And also, provide more details about UV. Is UV bulb available in market as I am using study lamp as lighting for tank? And Is the light of UV sufficient for HC cuba. Is it really necessary? Please provide the details.

And one more thing, tomorrow whole my family are going on vacation for 3 days. Since, I my timer is not working, I am planning to leave light for 24 hours as I don't want HC cuba to die. Is it okay to leave light for 24 hours? Will HC cuba die due to stress of light? This is for 3 days only. Not always. After coming back from vacation, I will switch back to 6 hours lighting and I don't have time to buy timer right now.

Any other alternate suggestion is welcome.

#14 ·
A UV light is in it's own container, it doesn't shine light into the tank at all. It destroys cells of algae and other things that flow through it's light. It'll kill the green algae that flows through it. It'll also kill bacteria and disease, so helps keep your fish from getting things like ick(but will not treat existing ick on fish as they will not pass the light).

But if you are leaving for 3 days, do not leave your lights on. Instead, leave them off for 3 days and cover the tank so it won't get any light at all. That will kill the algae a good bit, and your plants shouldn't have any trouble at all with a few days of dark.

#12 ·
I agree with you here but once you have green water its a whole different ball game and you can correct the causes but it will not go away unless treated with UV, diatom filter, chemical or blackout to the best of my knowledge, there may be other treatments but I am not aware of them. Correcting the cause is the most important as you and other suggest but without treatment after with one of the methods I listed its unlikely to go away.

Dan

Bump:
Like you suggested, If I provide the light for 6 hours and food for fish every 3 days and fertilizer every week, how long will it last(just approximate). Because, I don't want to clean the tank again from scratch.

And also, provide more details about UV. Is UV bulb available in market as I am using study lamp as lighting for tank? And Is the light of UV sufficient for HC cuba. Is it really necessary? Please provide the details.

And one more thing, tomorrow whole my family are going on vacation for 3 days. Since, I my timer is not working, I am planning to leave light for 24 hours as I don't want HC cuba to die. Is it okay to leave light for 24 hours? Will HC cuba die due to stress of light? This is for 3 days only. Not always. After coming back from vacation, I will switch back to 6 hours lighting and I don't have time to buy timer right now.

Any other alternate suggestion is welcome.
If you are going on vacation for 3 days anyways. IMO I would disconnect the Co2, keep the lights off and cover the tank with a blanket or something that will not allow even a spec of light into the tank. This may affect your plant growth but they should bounce back. Leave the tank for 4 days in complete darkness.

Dan

#17 ·
Green water. I had this persistent for a month a year ago. Usual treatment is full blackout and/or a uv clarifier.
However, it kept coming back for me once I'd stopped the treatment.
What fixed it for me was adding a power head pointed to surface to increase surface ripple for more oxygen. Hasn't come back since. Cleared in a few days without water change.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.