All Glass/Aqueon tanks - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lksdrinker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

All Glass/Aqueon tanks

So I've been noticing this for awhile now. Every time I look at Aqueon tanks while at the LFS or local big chain pet stores that they are very sloppily done. Silicone globs everywhere, tuns of bubbles and imperfections in the seams, chips, and more recently I noticed the top trim seems to make a crunch noise when grabbing the tanks top trim. What's going on with this?
I ask because recently I tried looking into a 55 from them which I used to have back in the day and it was in very good quality as well as many other tanks from them like a 40B. There is a local chain by me that's having the DPG sale, but I actually opted to pay more for a Marineland tank that is better quality which came in in perfect shape from my LFS.

Am I the only one who's noticed this? Maybe it's just in my region.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

I have a 20 long Aqueon. The silicone is horrible.

No sense of style, just growing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't so much mind the way it looks, but when it's full of bubbles and imperfections in the seams. I don't like having a constant fear of the bubbles causing the seam to become weak and start leaking.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Algae Grower

It happens, even to custom tanks. Not saying Aqueon is as good as custom but things happen when putting a tank together. When I buy large tanks I inspect everything well before going home. Not had any problems with them. My current tank is an Oceanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

120 Mixed reef
MP40, Sump Buddy 40 skimmer
150w X2 14k, refugium, LPS, SPS, and RBTA soon to add controller

36g planted, 24w X4 T5 HO Aquaticlife
Fluval 305, AC 70, working on CO2
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, well, it worries me when every tank you touch feels like you can move the top trim and makes a crunching noise. This can't be good. Someone at the store told me it's because they didn't put enough adhesive under the trim?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

That's what my tank is. I did the $1 per gallon sale.

The silicon on mine is terrible as well. On the front, the right side silicon comes out about half an inch. It looks good on the left side. I don't have bubbles in the silicon, so it doesn't bother me much.

I knew it was a cheap tank when I bought it. But I'm happy with the tank in terms of how much I paid for it. It was a great deal for a little bedroom tank.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I remember back when I got my Aqueon 40B from Petco from the dpg sale. August 2013. No issues at all, perfectly clean silicone and no bubbles. Never had an issue with it. I also had an Aqueon 10G, 20H, 20 long and of course, 55. Zero issues.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

There really seems to be a lack of quality control as far as mass produced tanks go. I tend to think the dollar per gallon sale was created just for these manufacturers to get rid of some of their not so perfect tanks! But, that doesn't mean you cant dig through what is available and get a hell of a deal on a tank if you take the time to find what you really want and have the will power to wait for the next sale if need be. Depending on the store/employee you might be able to point out the defects and they might come up with something else from the back that could look a little better.
roadmaster likes this.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 17 tanks(72 bowfront, 2x55's, 2x29's, 2x20 highs, 20 long, 30 long, 38, 7x10's) many of which are planted; and a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank at work along with a few empty tanks here and there to be set up eventually!.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode