The Planted Tank Forum banner

xtra fertilizer added to soil

644 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jpappy789 
#1 ·
I have eco complete substrate and have some plants when do i need to start adding some type of ferts into the substrate
is there any substrate that needs no added ferts in the substrate

#2 ·
adding ferts your eco complete is not necessary, but would be recommended. it is better to add dry fertz to mix it into your substrate. you can get the powder stuff and sprinkle it at the very bottom of the tank and then put eco complete over it. or you can get tablets/pills/chunks of dry fertilizer, shove it deep into the substrate so it can slowly leech out the nutrients and the plant's roots can feed off it. you can also squirt in liquid fertz into your water every week or so.

#3 ·
My understanding is that EC doesn't exactly have a whole lot of its own nutrients but rather a decent CEC which promotes nutrient retention and exchange with roots.

Really, your needs are going to depend A LOT on the type of tank you have. It would be helpful if you can provide your tank specs (i.e. size, lighting, plants, etc.). Not all plants are very heavy root feeders, and may not necessarily need any substrate fertilization.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.