The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help! Water intake and outake placement

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  hydrotherapy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there, first time setting up a planted tank and need some help please!

Currently it's in the 3rd week of the DSM. Everything's looking good so far, and I'm just trying to figure out my setup when it's time to flood the tank. I would like recommendations and suggestions on where to place the spraybar, intake filter, and co2 diffuser.

I am currently running an Eheim 2215 canister.

Your suggestions and recommendations are invaluable!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
The goal of any filter is to get even flow, limit dead spots and filter all the water. With that in mind the main thing is that your spray bar should mostly just be pointed away from your intake. Beyond that people have a number of different approaches. Generally it seems people with spray bars set them up so that they push the flow out against the glass and down. So put the spray bar along the back of the tank spraying water down and towards the front of the tank. Or along one side of the tank pushing water towards the other side.

There is really no one right way, as long as water is circulating and your fresh clean water goes in a different direction then your intake.

#6 ·
Thanks! Actually got some advice from another member and will be purchasing a circulating pump, nothing fancy, probably just a Hydor one.
Having that will allow me to get rid of the spraybar and improve the flow. And I do have some lily pipes lying around....just afraid I'll be too lazy to clean them, lol

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Love SS lily pipes. They also need an occasional clean, but only on the exterior, which is a piece of cake.

Reactions: hydrotherapy
#10 ·
In my planted tank, for what it's worth, I have my spray bar at one end of the tank. What I have found is the spray bar spraying along the surface of the tank creates a "draw" along the bottom of the tank and back up to the spray bar. Good for circulation, but, all the detris ends up right under the spray bar (intake is at the other end of the tank). Given the opportunity I would put the intake directly below the spray bar, basically as @aja31 suggested in post #2 above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.