• 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By Smooch
  • 1 Post By Dman911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thoughts for a new work tank

Hello everyone,

I知 thinking about starting an ADA style tank at work, and I知 wondering if I知 missing something in my thought process.

Most (if not all) of our algae issues stem from an imbalance of growth factors, with the usual suspect being too much light vs CO2. I知 wondering if running a tank with high ferts, high CO2, and low lighting would work. Plant list would be Java Ferns, Anubias, Buce, Moss, and Red Root Floaters. Fauna would be Neocardina, Nerites, and Endler痴. Am I missing something here, or would this be a relatively safe way to run a low maintenance tank?

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.
125G High Tech Journal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My thoughts would be a bit different. I think of light as being the one which speeds growth as long as the other two are available but with high ferts and low light, I think of algae being more able to grow in the "dim" light better than the plants. My guess might be that would lead to lots more algae.
But then I'm also far from one who handles algae well so other opinions may count for more.
richie_brave likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not understanding the 'low maintenance' part of running a tank with lots of ferts and CO2.

Low maintenance from where I'm sitting means the following:

Weekly tank maintenance with water changes, low to moderate light with no CO2. Fish health comes before plants in my tanks, so their well being is placed over the plants. I do take care of the plants though. They are fed once a week, trimmed as needed while having any leaves that are drying or dead removed. No need for the plant to waste energy on such things.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
I'm not understanding the 'low maintenance' part of running a tank with lots of ferts and CO2.

Low maintenance from where I'm sitting means the following:

Weekly tank maintenance with water changes, low to moderate light with no CO2. Fish health comes before plants in my tanks, so their well being is placed over the plants. I do take care of the plants though. They are fed once a week, trimmed as needed while having any leaves that are drying or dead removed. No need for the plant to waste energy on such things.
My idea of low maintenance is not having to trim everything twice a week, and not having to screw with changing something constantly in an algae whack-a-mole game. With quality equipment, CO2 can be a set it and forget it thing, where you only visually check daily to make sure all is going to plan. The dosing can be automatic, and the only remaining thing to do would be changing the water.

I only ask because typically, tanks are segregated into low-tech or high-tech. The difference being Low-tech has low lighting and no CO2, while high-tech has high lighting and CO2. I think what I'm getting at is combining the two with low lighting and high CO2.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.
125G High Tech Journal.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The plants would benefit from CO2. Whether that would eliminate having to keep after them more often or not, I don't know. I've seen tanks that are similar to what you have in mind and it wasn't any less work than a high tech tank. Said tanks were set up with just substrate, stone and mosses along with all the usual tank gear. Filter, heater, ect...

Amano used a lot of ferns and other 'simple' plants in his layouts with CO2. Try it and see what happens.
richie_brave likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
My thoughts would be a bit different. I think of light as being the one which speeds growth as long as the other two are available but with high ferts and low light, I think of algae being more able to grow in the "dim" light better than the plants. My guess might be that would lead to lots more algae.
But then I'm also far from one who handles algae well so other opinions may count for more.
i know i'm a newbie in planted tank but correct me if i'm wrong about the plants..
the plants that are chosen are low light plants which is suitable with that light spec, right?
and they are quite tough plants too..

so why do a CO2 and high ferts ?
like @PlantedRich all i can think is algae and wasted money

Last edited by richie_brave; 05-19-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_brave View Post
i know i'm a newbie in planted tank but correct me if i'm wrong about the plants..
the plants that are chosen are low light plants which is suitable with that light spec, right?
and they are quite tough plants too..

so why do a CO2 and high ferts ?
like @PlantedRich all i can think is algae and wasted money
The idea is to provide them with everything they can possibly need, allowing them to flourish. EI dosing works because the plants can outcompete the algae, so limiting the nutrients is a bad idea. I'm thinking if the limiting factor is light by a wide margin, then algae should be a non-issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

125G High Tech Journal.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
The idea is to provide them with everything they can possibly need, allowing them to flourish. EI dosing works because the plants can outcompete the algae, so limiting the nutrients is a bad idea. I'm thinking if the limiting factor is light by a wide margin, then algae should be a non-issue.

then why not change the light to high light too since u want to provide everything the plants need?
i mean u will do high fert + CO2, then why stop there? light is like the most important thing ..
since without high light, plants wont able to observe the CO2 and the fert well...

Last edited by richie_brave; 05-19-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_brave View Post
then why not change the light to high light too since u want to provide everything the plants need?
i mean u will do high fert + CO2, then why stop there? light is like the most important thing ..
since without high light, plants wont able to observe the CO2 and the fert well...
Trying to limit growth so it doesn't need to be trimmed twice a week like my high tech tank does.

125G High Tech Journal.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
Trying to limit growth so it doesn't need to be trimmed twice a week like my high tech tank does.

hmm... its a bit twisted..
naturally Co2 will be provided by the livestock u put in
since its not that many livestock = there will not much CO2 = it will slow down a bit the plants growth (am i right?)

high fert (depends on what fert)
some may harm the livestock too as i read..
and without them the plant will grow slower so u don't have to trim it every week.. maybe once every 2 weeks?

idk man.. maybe u can try it?
and please post the updates of ur tank...
will be interesting to see..

Last edited by richie_brave; 05-19-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: .
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think your idea makes sense providing you are dealing with low light plants. Light being the limiting factor as usual. In my opinion you will only need moderate co2 and ferts though as hi co2 and ferts would be wasted as others said. Possibly 1/3 EI and 15ish ppm co2 should be more than sufficient to provide good plants growth. It's basically a low tech tank with co2 and I see no reason why this would not work providing the plants chosen are those of low light requirements. This will as you suggest cut down on the grooming needed but I would still recommend weekly water changes.

Dan
richie_brave likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I think your idea makes sense providing you are dealing with low light plants. Light being the limiting factor as usual. In my opinion you will only need moderate co2 and ferts though as hi co2 and ferts would be wasted as others said. Possibly 1/3 EI and 15ish ppm co2 should be more than sufficient to provide good plants growth. It's basically a low tech tank with co2 and I see no reason why this would not work providing the plants chosen are those of low light requirements. This will as you suggest cut down on the grooming needed but I would still recommend weekly water changes.

Dan
I can get on board with dosing leaner ferts and CO2, that makes sense.

125G High Tech Journal.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ditched my high tech tank a few months ago and put my co2 set up on my low medium light tank. Best decision I ever made. I have way less algae in my tank than when using no co2 or diy co2 on the same tank. It was like a miracle. The tank has some rotala in it that I like to keep lush and straight so I do run 30ppm. C02 is cheap so I don't mind if I am wasting a little. I have a GLA Pro which is basically set it and forget it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode