OMG I feel horrible. Just killed a fish - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OMG I feel horrible. Just killed a fish

I feel like a terrible fish parent. I was trimming a very thick patch of S. Repens, and accidentally cut an Oto cat that was hiding inside. I took his poor tail off, and I feel horrible 😭😭😭

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.
125G High Tech Journal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't kick yourself too hard. At least it was not one of the kids and you backed the car over them!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

I Would say something ,But I won't .

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

My sister borrowed my CAE couple days ago... Long story short, she had to move her tank afterwards. This morning I ask where he was as I didn't see him in her big tank. Apparently he'd been super freaked out during the move so I went looking. Found him in a cup crammed full of plants she'd pulled, belly up so to speak. He'd jumped.
It happens, she feels terrible and he was a freakishly nice and calm CAE so he's next to impossible to replace. Time to try something new!

Sorry to hear about your little guy, seems it's a rough day for our algae loving friends today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
jellopuddinpop likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymm7149@comcast.net View Post
I Would say something ,But I won't .
We'll, that was constructive.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.
125G High Tech Journal.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:14 AM
Planted Member

I've done the same accidentally, not trimming but my glass lid fell into the tank right on top of my beautiful angel and also my Panda Garra I wanted to call it quits after that but honestly mistakes happen rip to your little friend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just feels bad. He was hiding from the big scary arm monster, and then I cut him in half. He was trying to swim away after I got him too. This sucks...

125G High Tech Journal.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
Just feels bad. He was hiding from the big scary arm monster, and then I cut him in half. He was trying to swim away after I got him too. This sucks...

Yes, got to fully agree that it does suck when we mess things up and something suffers. But then after a while, we have to just go on and not sweat it too much. And really on the big scale, it is one of the smaller hurts that most of us will run into so we can't get too tied up in guilt.
And it's not really something lots of us think about when we trim. Not like you have been warned over and over so that it was an obvious thing to avoid, huh?
I don't know that I've ever been responsible for killing anybody but then I do know that I once backed my own van into my own truck! That one still smarts on the my personal dummy scale!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hahahaha.

125G High Tech Journal.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, it sucks when we hurt something that depends on us. I backed over my dog one morning on the way out to work and he had to be put down. I still get sad thinking about it.

I try to follow the K.I.S.S. Principle, but it's just no fun.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Once I was punching holes in the substrate (dirted tank, venting gas bubbles) and accidentally brought my big poker down on top of one of my little cories There were no visible injuries, but it died the next day. I felt so bad! It happens though, I guess... I'm just thankful I'm not one of those who accidentally left the intake on their filter uncovered and came home to nano fish smoothie.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thanks everybody.

125G High Tech Journal.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It happens; it wasn't intentional.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turningdizzy View Post
Yeah, it sucks when we hurt something that depends on us. I backed over my dog one morning on the way out to work and he had to be put down. I still get sad thinking about it.
How fast were you driving and to you have backup cameras or sensors in your car?

My cat uses to lay down like under the tire of my car or when I was driving in, she would run on the road and just lay down. I don't know what she was thinking.

Perhaps the new technology will prevent this from happening in the future. I think cars made after a certain date are required to have a backup camera allow people to see what is behind their car. Right now even a small child could be in a blind spot when backing up.

I am very sorry about what happen to your dog.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
I feel like a terrible fish parent. I was trimming a very thick patch of S. Repens, and accidentally cut an Oto cat that was hiding inside. I took his poor tail off, and I feel horrible 😭😭😭

Sorry about your fish. Dont beat yourself up too much over it. Sometimes bad things just happen even with the best of intentions. I remember going to the local petsmart a few years ago, and I wasn't shopping for any fish but they had two clown loaches in a tank witha cpl of dead fish and they were in pretty bad shape themselves. I couldn't just leave them there to their fate. I paid too much for two very sick fish but took them home hopingI could save them. One died wwithin a cpl of days but the other made a full recovery and I had him for close to a year. Maybe longer. He was in a heavily planted 75gal community tank and he was the main attraction. I had an issue with some string algae and decided to put a wave maker powerhead in the tank to increase circulation.I only ran it a few minutes before realizing it was way too much flow. I unplugged it but left it in the tank. A few days later on water change day I took the pump and tossed it into a five gallon bucket I had sitting next to the tank and went ahead with my water change. That night I got to missing my loach. I couldnt find him anywhere and he was super active. The next day I went to put the pump and bucket away and there he was. Lifeless in the bottom of the bucket. He must have used the wavemaker as a cave for sleeping. It was aweful. Took me a while to quit beating myself up over being so irresponsible, but i finally let it go. Sometimes things just happen. We live and we learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode