The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cruel or Not?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DaveK 
#1 · (Edited)
I've recently seen a video on facebook about a 'miracle product' called Gex Magic Powder that apparently changes the water chemistry enough to allow fresh and saltwater fish to live together. I highly doubt this is real, but my questions are; has anyone else seen the video? Has anyone ever seen this product IRL?

#2 ·
It seems these type of products come out about every 10 years or so. I remember one being sold in the early 1970's called Wonder Water.

I can't speak for that specific product, but what it typically done is that they add some salt along with another item or two that sort of allow SW and FW fish to be mixed. As you no doubt have seen FW and for that matter many SW fish can live in a wide range of water conditions. Obviously neither group of fish is going to like it.

In my opinion, such products stress both groups of fish, and I would consider the use of it to be cruel.

I did a web search about Gex Magic Powder, and most of information seems to be dated about 2009, so I figure we are due for another "new" product in a few years. (grin)

If you want to keep SW fish, set up a SW tank. The fish will thank you.

#4 ·
Don't worry, I wasn't planning on keeping SW and FW fish together, just wondering about the probability of the product actually existing.

I'd be skeptical of anything that uses "magic" in the title! Especially in a case like this where it would take magic to make the impossible happen! I dont see how you could ever have both fresh and salt water in the same container at the same time. But you might be able to trick a few people with certain species that might belong in a brackish tank.
products referred to as "magic" are products of chemistry, it's just that the actual chemical formula of many things doesn't have the same ring to it as the word magic does. My knowledge of chemistry tells me that a SW/FW tank is impossible, so you're right to be skeptical as well. As for brackish tricks, I've seen full saltwater guppies in a reef tank (they were doing fairly well too, as they were having MANY babies!)

#3 ·
I'd be skeptical of anything that uses "magic" in the title! Especially in a case like this where it would take magic to make the impossible happen! I dont see how you could ever have both fresh and salt water in the same container at the same time. But you might be able to trick a few people with certain species that might belong in a brackish tank.

#5 ·
Many freshwater fish can be adapted for saltwater such as guppies and mollies. Salt to fresh not so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.