Is my light causing milky water? - The Planted Tank Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is my light causing milky water?

I got a new light last week, a finnex fugeray planted plus. The light now goes across all 36 inches of my 30 gallon long tank. This is upgrading from the t8 24 inch that I had origionally. At first it seemed great, and I think that the Plants are starting to grow new tops and look good.

The problem is that the water clarity has gone down. I tested the water, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nirtrites, 5 or less ppm of nitrates.

The other things that I can think of is that the plants are bad at the bottom
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...734650&thumb=1

See how the plants have started growing new leaves at the top but the bottoms are still kinda gangly looking.

Do I need to trim those out and replant?

Any advice welcome.

Thans
Attached Images

NickAu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's a deficiency on your plants. Forgot which one but it is...
And as for the milky water its just needing a good 50 percent water change since apparently water quality was a bit downhill for you it seems.
NickAu likes this.

(ᕗ ಠ︡益︠ಠ︠)ᕗ︵ ┻┻ .`...>> The Butt Of The Forum <<...`.(ง︡'-'︠)ง Betta 💪 (︡益︠) 👊 Bettas ┻━┻︵💨ᕙ(🔥益🔥ᕙ )
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So just a water change for the water and the plants need what to fix the "unknown deficiency".

Thanks
NickAu likes this.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nitrates at less than 5 is too low. I would start by raising that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
NickAu likes this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How would I raise nitrates? The other suggestion is a good water chance which will lower the nitrates even more.
NickAu likes this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Milky water is usually a bacterial bloom.. Something released a lot of "food" into the water..
pH change at all??
LEd's shade more than t8's in general..

I'd personally let it be for a week..unless any fish were showing signs of stress..
NickAu likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ph has dropped a little since I added the new light aweek ago.
Only one fish is showing signs of stress. One Molly out of 4 is resting at the bottom for 2 days now. The others are happy.

The "food" might be excess algea. There has been much more since stronger light.
Should I reduce the light time because I have no other option of reducing light right now.
Could I add something to help eat the extra algea? Don't really want a pleco or something right now though.
NickAu likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-20-2017 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yea, shorten your day period..
NickAu likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

I've had the same issues with Hygrophila difformis in more than one tank. I have them growing fine and happy then every time I up the light into the med-high territory, I get the same result as your pics. When my light increased, so did my dosing... enough to keep all my more demanding plants happy. If there was something specific that it needed, I never found it.

My experience is that in high light this plant rockets to the top at all costs, and could care less about maintaining the lower leaves to get there. As I upped my doses to crazy levels, it only sped up the top growth even more (while everything below turned ugly on the way up). I pulled all of it except one piece that I placed in a medium/low light transition area of my tank (I purposely keep a few areas dim for my fish to enjoy). That remaining piece grows very slowly, but is vibrant green top to bottom. Just my take on it...
NickAu likes this.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Planted Member

You have Mollies that prefer hard water ( and can even live in salt water ) in the tank with Tetras that prefer soft acidic water? So which fishes needs are you catering for?
BettaBettas likes this.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't recommend salt for mollies (they need calcium hardness), but if the fish is hanging out at the bottom, add 1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallon.
If the molly is swimming strangely allreaddy, take it out and keep it with methylene blue at the same concentration as above for 3 days, it will start looking better in hours, if I am correct.

Mollies are a good canary in the mine for a host of issues, they are sensitive to bad water, and black ones will show visible signs of external problems, like ich, long before you notice it on other fish.

They just have nasty personalities when healthy. I'm a fish guy, plants to me are just a means to an end, and their presence is more important than their appearance...but we have tonnes of guys on here for that.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Nitrates at less than 5 is too low. I would start by raising that.

Unless I am mistaken the OP has Mollies and they tend to be sensitive to Nitrates, I would keep it below 20 ppm.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAu View Post
Unless I am mistaken the OP has Mollies and they tend to be sensitive to Nitrates, I would keep it below 20 ppm.
Not if he wants success in growing plants. This is the planted tank forum 😉

NickAu likes this.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Not if he wants success in growing plants. This is the planted tank forum 😉

Just because its a Planted tank forum is no reason to be cruel to fish by forcing them to live in an unsuitable environment.

If you want fish and plants sacrifices need to be made to accommodate the fish.

I can see me clashing with members here over this.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

I dont want to put undue stress on the fish.

LFS advised that it would be ok to have the Mollies and Tetras. I guess I gotta do better research.

Either way, It sounds like different plants would be better. second thought, Mollies are better not in planted tanks as they prefer harder water and plants prefer softer water.

do I have that right?

How would I adjust water hardness?

would dosing leaf zone or something like that help? or should I just move to different plants?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Bump: I dont want to put undue stress on the fish.

LFS advised that it would be ok to have the Mollies and Tetras. I guess I gotta do better research.

Either way, It sounds like different plants would be better. second thought, Mollies are better not in planted tanks as they prefer harder water and plants prefer softer water.

do I have that right?

How would I adjust water hardness?

would dosing leaf zone or something like that help? or should I just move to different plants?

Thanks for all the help everyone!
NickAu and Pat24601 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode