The Planted Tank Forum banner

Petroleum Jelly?

931 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  PlantedRich 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone

Picked up a used 90gal and trying to get rid of the scotch tape residue etc...

Found that using Alcohol - Petroleum Jelly - Alcohol and some elbow grease really gets the job done on glass and plastic trim! It also helped to refresh the trim in placed where it had become greyish.

Now onto the hard water stains ... Going to try some of the petroleum jelly on there as well (no alcohol) to see if it doesn't help to "moisturize" it a bit for easier scraping

Sound like a bad idea?

I will let you know the results!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, my wife tough me to use fat to remove scotch tape remains.. brilliant.

For calcium deposits try acetic acid or a diluted muriatic acid. Take all precautions necessary as it is a very strong acid which can dissolve limestone with a fizzle. It is basically diluted HCl so washes away easily once your done with your tank.

#3 ·
A pretty standard question that often gets the "standard" answer. For hard water deposits which are often from minerals that are alkaline, using some form of acid will react and make it easier to remove. One of the handier, cheaper acids is vinegar. It contains acidic acid and is strong enough but certainly safe as well. Pickle juice perhaps?
Really, when I get the really tough gunk, I use a razor blade scraper like sold for removing paint from windows to get the thick stuff and then do the remaining scrubbing with vinegar.
flush with water to avoid making too big a dent in the PH, but as good a way as I've found.

#4 ·
Okay so the Petroleum Jelly Idea Kinda worked for the Water Stains
It made it "easier" to scrub off and I made minute progress with a green scrubby and about 5 mins of effort
The razor did nothing
I will have to keep at it tomorrow

As for the black trim I am super happy with the end result I have been trying to figure out what to use to get the shine back and remove the tough water spots and grey fading from the lighting

Pictures show before and after for the right back trim and the center support

Note I had already scrubbed and washed this part repeatedly with the before result

Now it looks Nearly brand new! Yay!

So shiny!

For calcium deposits try acetic acid or a diluted muriatic acid. Take all precautions necessary as it is a very strong acid which can dissolve limestone with a fizzle. It is basically diluted HCl so washes away easily once your done with your tank
Pickle juice perhaps?
Thank you BTW for your suggestions :) In regards to the Pickle juice ... because I love pickles. Do you think salt would scratch the glass like sand? I was thinking a combo of the two might work. Well maybe vinegar and salt

Attachments

#5 ·
No need for salt. Acids will chemically react with the mineral stains. Using a razor speeds the process but you do not have to use it if you add enough acid.

BTW The green part of sponges can scratch glass

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I lay the tank on its side and pour enough vinegar to completely cover the glass and let it soak for a little bit, then scrub it down with a pice of no name brand magic eraser (don't use the bathroom or scented stuff, just the original untreated. They are also great for maintaining acrylic tanks as they polish out micro scratches). Stand the tank up and do the same for the bottom. Then the other long side before moving to the short sides, which is when some of the vinegar starts pouring out. Follow it up with a good rinse from the tap (low mineral well water), then a little bit of RO to make sure there are no sopts. I'll usually dip the magic eraser sponge in the vinegar to scrub which ever side is face up to get spots that have accumulated on the exterior.

#7 ·
Actually it is just the tough leftovers that I am trying to rid myself of. I gave the entire Tank a good scrubbing just like you described a while back but it's that danged water stain across the top back of the tank that just will not leave :(

I have scrubbed vinegared scraped razored everything I can think of Which is why I have started to branch out a bit.

I think I will still go with the salt idea but will avoid the green scrubbies from here on out.

Thanks Guys!

#9 ·
heh heh heh

I wish I could be happy with that

Unfortunately I am extrememly nit picky Annoy myself sometimes

I did however see a set up with a frosted background looked nice and might solve the issue

#10 ·
You may be up against a hard spot.
There are times when the deposits are left there and get too thick and seem to actually become part of the plastic. I have had some that just were there forever. Even glass can develop a haze of sorts and can't be removed. At that point I have given up. I did try power sanding with really fine emery paper on one trim but it was never shiny like the rest so I did what I should have done before going to all the trouble. I put an ad on Craig's and sold it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.