Quarantine Tank Size - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quarantine Tank Size

I wanted to buy 20 Cardinal tetras for my main display tank but only have a 10G Quarantine tank. Is it okay to house the cardinals there for two weeks if I do water changes every other day? or is it still too small?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd go with something bigger, like a 20 long.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

How big is your main display? That's a lot of bioload to add all at once to a display or QT tank. Maybe you could break it up into groups of ~5 tetras at a time and maintain your cycle? Then the 10g size isn't a problem either way.
trinity ghost likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbeard View Post
How big is your main display? That's a lot of bioload to add all at once to a display or QT tank. Maybe you could break it up into groups of ~5 tetras at a time and maintain your cycle? Then the 10g size isn't a problem either way.
If you've done a fishless cycle, your bio filtration can handle the load at once. Just throwing it out there.

I would use a 20g tub or something from walmart if possible. Just one of those storage bins will work. The 10g should work though. 20 juvi cardinals isn't much.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would say a ten is good size for those fish but I would want to help avoid possible trouble by doing a fishless cycle. The idea of fishless cycle is that it DOES build a super large colony to meet most any potential load. Very necessary when getting a large order like cichlids to save on multiple shipping charges.
One thing that makes the smaller size work is that they are new fish. They will not be expected to eat very well so one should not feed them for a couple days and then watch if they are settled enough to eat and then gradually increase the amount. Some fish will only want to duck and hide until they find it is safe so large quarters are less important.
If/ when they begin to act like they need larger space, they are probably well enough to consider moving some to another tank? Sick fish will be expected to act sick! That means they don't need much space.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well to answer a few questions, my main is a 45G. The reason i dont wanna buy 5 at a time is cuz im getting a deal from the petstore if i buy in large quantities. The 10G i have currently holds 6 guppies and 4 rasboras. I always put them in when there are no fish to quarantine to maintain s good bio filter. When I add the cardinals the gupppies and rasboras will go into the 45 for the 2 weeks. So is it ppossible to house the 20 cards in the 10G?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Algae Grower

The size of tank depends on how big the cardinals are, if they are full size then I'd go with a 20 long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, with the added info, I might go with a different answer. You will have a good start on being a fully cycled tank and ready but that is only ready for the current load. So I might assume that there is a reasonable chance to go with double the load, more or less, as the current bacteria will grow much, much, faster than if starting from none.
So the next question might be how prepped you are for watching, testing and then doing the work needed if you do find the load is giving you spikes.
There can be extremes on both ends of how much water changing we want to do, so it gets into how you feel you will be able/willing to do whatever amount is required.
Lower than normal feeding, fish that may not eat at first and several things may make it work fine but then when we are not watching is when things go bad ---sometimes in a hurry.
Use care and go for it? Two weeks is not a long time to struggle with water changes if that does become needed.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Okay, with the added info, I might go with a different answer. You will have a good start on being a fully cycled tank and ready but that is only ready for the current load. So I might assume that there is a reasonable chance to go with double the load, more or less, as the current bacteria will grow much, much, faster than if starting from none.
So the next question might be how prepped you are for watching, testing and then doing the work needed if you do find the load is giving you spikes.
There can be extremes on both ends of how much water changing we want to do, so it gets into how you feel you will be able/willing to do whatever amount is required.
Lower than normal feeding, fish that may not eat at first and several things may make it work fine but then when we are not watching is when things go bad ---sometimes in a hurry.
Use care and go for it? Two weeks is not a long time to struggle with water changes if that does become needed.
Thanks for your reply. Yes I will be off for those two weeks which is why I will be watching very closely everyday and testing every 3-4 days. I plan on doing aroun a 20-25% water change every 2-3 days regardless just to be safe since its such a small tank anyways. So I think what Im hearing you say is that I should be okay for it ?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 AM
Planted Member

it depends on your filter, if you have an established HOB or a canister filter rated for at least 40 G and the tank is cycled you will be fine, even with more fish.
if you have a sponge filter you are probably going to get an ammonia spike and kill the fish.

more filtration = more fish

oh and don't forget to add an airstone

ever wonder how those guys manage to keep so many fish in a tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVChB-rRam4
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 AM
Planted Member

If you plan on doing water changes daily or every other day, why not just put them in the display tank to begin with and use a bottled bacteria to help establish the BB colony?

I use seachem stability with all new fresh and saltwater (fowlr) tanks I setup and have had nothing but success using as directed. Zero fish loses. I've setup (mostly upgrading nanos to slightly larger nanos) about 6 tanks in the last 3 years using Stability. Transfering fish from tank to tank. I have 3 glo-light tetras and a neon all over 3 years old and they are on their 3rd tank, soon to be 4th. A pretty decent trial of the product I think. IME, it's good stuff. It supplements the BB colony so new tanks are fish safe and it helps establish the BB colony as well.

It would, IMO, be no different than dumping them all in the 10g. Unless Cardinals are overly sensitive fish, which I don't believe they are, I see no problem in doing what I suggest and do myself.

As far as a true quarantine/ hospital tank goes, a bare empty 10 gallon is plenty large for 20 tetra sized fish and for solitary fish you'd be surprised what fits in a 10g for quarantine/hospital purposes. The problem you run into here is that if a fish or two show symptoms you should then quarantine them to treat them separately from the original group. No point in 1 fish getting 19 ill too. Hence another reason why I suggest just putting them into the display tank to start.

OR...

Do a fishless cycle and worry about it much less. Using Stability, I've cycled a 12" cube in less than 3 weeks.

Daily/every other day water changes combat a lot of issues when starting new tanks.

Almost forgot to mention, if using tap water I (and pretty much anyone else) highly suggest using prime for your dechlorinator. Pretty much a staple in this hobby. It also helps reduce the toxicity of ammonia. Another great seachem product.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Guppies that OP mentions that are already in 45 gal or display tank, might lead me to wonder if cardinal's that thrive in softer water than guppies (thrive in hard alkaline water) would be a good fit.?
I think 10 small cardinal's in 10 gal would be doable with two week's between placing the cardinal's in display tank after quarantine,and placing another ten in quarantine.
If my source water for water changes was more alkaline /hard, pH 7.4 or above,I might consider another species more suited for my water.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Algae Grower

If there are other fish in the display tank then do not put the cardinals straight into it. Your supposed to quarantine new fish for about 2 weeks to make sure they don't have any diseases, and then if they do treat the whole group because most likely they'll all have it. Dose with ammonia so that you can get a large colony of BB to be prepared for 20 cardinal tetras.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelvk View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes I will be off for those two weeks which is why I will be watching very closely everyday and testing every 3-4 days. I plan on doing aroun a 20-25% water change every 2-3 days regardless just to be safe since its such a small tank anyways. So I think what Im hearing you say is that I should be okay for it ?
Yes, that is my opinion, but keep in mind that it can also be wrong. That would lead me to do it but with careful watching. Not much different than normal making a big change of any sort. Things happen so it is often more a matter of being ready than what happens.

Ten is a small tank but that is good if we need to treat sick fish. But it also puts more stress on us to keep the water clean. With smallish fish that are not prone to fighting, 20PPM of nitrate works the same in ten gallons as it does in 50 gallons except it is harder to maintain and does require more water changes. This is when I find test strips are a handy way to go. They cost about a 30-40 cents but they let me just dunk and look when I go by rather than doing a real precise test. All I'm looking for is that sudden change in color so I want speed and ease so that I will actually do the test. From there, I find it a matter of doing the work if I find it needed.

It's not like this type fish will suddenly turn on each other just because they are in a smallish tank. Size of fish is important but age and kind is also a factor when thinking of crowding for a short term. Even four mbuna of the wrong type might give trouble in two weeks but that is not what you are speaking, so I see no problem that can't be worked out.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:41 AM
Algae Grower

Lots of good advice in this thread but really it's going to come down to how often you want to do a water change. You could QT 100 cardinal tetras in a 10 gallon if you did twice a day water changes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode