Wall Mounted Tank... - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wall Mounted Tank...

Hey Guys!

If you viewed my other post then you know I like to do things a bit out of the ordinary. This tank is no exception. I built this a while back specifically for use as a planted freshwater tank. It measures 48" x 6" x 20.5". It holds about 21.21 gallons of water empty but will be operating at closer to 20.5 gallons (minus substrate) and depending on the water level. As you can see in the image I already have the T-5 lighting so that is what I will be using for now. Oh, and yes this will be getting "framed" and hung on the wall. With that said, how would YOU set up the rest of the tank as in equipment? Keep in mind that the framing around the tank could be used to house equipment.

Cheers,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	719794  

Vidikron and N2uqs like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I'll just set it up and show everyone how I went about it...

Last edited by thercman; 02-17-2017 at 04:03 AM. Reason: forgot a word
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Subbed.

Will you have access from behind, like a closet you can knock a hole in, or will the frame house everything?
Aquatic Delight and Econde like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow that is neat. I'm subscribing to this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It looks like the cover is to wide for a hob, i would consider a sponge filter. What are you planning on housing fish wise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Will

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

Space Coast Aquatic Plant Society on Facebook.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:01 PM
Algae Grower

Depending on how wide of a frame you are going to build. You can make a canister filter the goes around the outside. Like an overflow hole drilled in the left side that feeds into a 2 1/2in PVC, filled with lava rock and flows down into a 1in pipe along the bottom to a small pump on the other side, to a bulkhead and a LocLine. You would have to cap the 2in pipe so you can clean it and add polyfill. Also would suggest a piano hinge along the top so you can open the face of the frame. And how are you holding it on the wall?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys...

The frame is going to house everything. The idea is to keep it self contained.

The tank is going to get mounted almost flush against the wall (maybe 1/2" - 3/4" away). I am going to use 3 heavy duty wall brackets and shelving supports. They will each be mounted to studs using 3" screws. (9 screws holding 180lbs shouldn't be an issue.) The shelf will be 3/4" Baltic birch marine grade plywood (sealed) with a piece of foam insulation set on that for the acrylic to sit on. I am also going to fabricate a couple small brackets that will attach to the two outer wall brackets and grab the top lip of the tank to prevent it from ever being able to tip forward. I am also going to add a couple tabs on the bottom so that it can't slide either. (better safe than sorry)

Filtration: Hmm... Well, I have considered using two submersible Fluval U4 Underwater Filters one on either end of the tank. While not cheap this would be very straight forward.

petromotion: I like your thinking. I have considered doing something similar with pulling water from one side of the tank then plumbing across the bottom and back up. Just haven't gotten much farther on that idea though. Using PVC as a makeshift canister filter is a good idea.

For plants I have no idea yet. Unlike corals I am unfamiliar with the various plant species. (much learning to do) Fish: I was thinking a school of neon tetras. Maybe I will do a biotope with this tank centered on the neon tetras native habitat. Although that will depend on the availability of plant species.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mattenfilters on both ends. Simple, very effective and can be hidden with plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KayakJimW and thercman like this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey Guys!

I just started mounting the brackets on the wall for the tank. I threw a piece of scrap wood up there so I could see how the tank looks. :-) Anyway, I thought I should share an image...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Aquarium.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	722338  

Cheers,
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lookin good. May as well start making the bed with your pillows at the foot end...

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Lookin good. May as well start making the bed with your pillows at the foot end...
Yeah it would be nice to wake up in the morning and the first thing I see is the tank.

Cheers,
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Totally. And to fall asleep watching it. May want to factor that into the photoperiod(s), haha

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What kind of weight rating do the wall standards and brackets have? I had no idea that type of shelf bracket could handle that much weight. At first sight I kinda went wow, I take it you've checked this out and are comfortable with the set up.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The weight shouldn't be an issue. These are the heavy duty brackets and they are stout. With that said, I am expecting the overall weight to be roughly 250lbs. That's about 84lbs per bracket. The center and right bracket are mounted directly to studs with 3" screws and the left is mounted to 1/2" sheetrock with 3 molly anchors. Even if it was only 3/8" sheetrock and I was using the smallest molly bolts at 1/8" they still have a tension capacity of 80lbs and a shear load of 110lbs each. I believe the sheetrock here is at least 1/2" so I could double those numbers. Most of the load is going to be shear forces.
jr125 likes this.

Cheers,
Greg

Last edited by thercman; 02-17-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode