The Planted Tank Forum banner

HELP!!!! Need to identify mysterious moss algae growth!!!

710 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  C10H12N2O 
#1 ·
So I have these vines I got from petco a couple months ago that are playable and can attach to things that have java moss tied into them. But in the last month I've noticed this extremely fine growth on the vines and now some of my other plants. I have no idea what it is or if I should be worried.

I'm using a aquasky led light and the tank is currently at about 80° but due to a faulty heater the tank was at about 85°-87° for a few weeks before I caught on. I haven't had any problems with algae growth or discolored water. Just this mysterious growth. Any info would be greatly appreciated ☺

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the algae club! Hard to tell exactly what kind - staghorn/hair/thread algae would be my best guesses. Annoying but not a crisis, it happens to all planted tanks at one point or another, or at several points, or all the time.

Go check out the algae subforum - there are lots of resources there that'll help you find out exactly what kind of algae it is, what causes it and how to get rid of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.