help, it's a jungle in there - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First of all, hi everyone. I've been reading bits and pieces on this forum for a while now and yesterday I brought my own 13 gallon tank home.

It's a used tank, and I bought it fully equiped, fully filled and with livestock. In the tank live about 15 different shrimp, 5 helena snails and 3 undefined algea eaters. it's a dennerle tank with a HOB filter, a heater and a LED light. It's filled with black gravel, and some little hiding tubes.

And plants! it has loads and loads of similar sized plants. there is no big or small, just loads of plants. some have been exposed during transit and are now floating round. Also there seems to be quite a lot of debris in the gravel now all shaken up by the moving.

I would like to make a nice aquascape with a rock or some wood in the background, and plants of various height, but i don't know where to start.

1. is the setup itself sufficient, and how do I check?
2. is it worth keeping the plants or at least some of it or do I start over?
3. do I need to treat the water with anything in particular after moving? I took about 4/5th of the water with me.
4. do I clean the gravel, and if yes, how?

pictures in the next posts. Thanks in advance for helping yet another newbie out.

There are also some algae growing on several leaves.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-09-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Algae Grower

Hmmm, not sure how helpful I can be but here goes:

1) Not sure what you mean by self sufficient? Equipment-wise, if these plants grew in this setup then they should continue to do so unless you add new plants with different requirements.
2) Definitely worth keeping plants. Keep what you like, add new things etc. It's all up to you. Depending on your changes you may have to adjust the setup (lights, etc).
3) Do you mean fertilizers? Potentially. Depends on what your plans are (see #2). I personally don't use any, but I also don't have rapidly growing high-demand plants and I am lazy.
4) You can...gravel attachment on water change siphon works well. I personally wouldn't go too OCD clean on that though...and it doesn't hurt the plants to have nutrients in the gravel.

Methinks you should envision what you want it to look like, and then figure out how to get there.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
1. is the setup itself sufficient, and how do I check?
Just wait. Start with the lights on for 6 hours a day and see if there is algae growing or if the plants are dying off. Adjust light based on what you see.

Quote:
2. is it worth keeping the plants or at least some of it or do I start over?
Most of those plants look like crypts, and EXCELLENT beginner and low light plant. Keep then, or, give them to me

Quote:
3. do I need to treat the water with anything in particular after moving? I took about 4/5th of the water with me.
Taking water with you is a misnomer made by pet stores and salt water tanks. You'll need to treat it with dechlorinator if you are using tap water to fill the tank. Check Amazon for "Prime", it's the best.

Quote:
4. do I clean the gravel, and if yes, how?
You can, but it isn't necessary in my opinion. A gravel vacuum on a hose/siphon works. But the plants enjoy the nutrient rich substrate. I usually pick out the dead plant matter and don't worry about the rest.

Good luck.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would say you need to do some rethinking, the plants are growing nicely, but they don't scale down very well for small scapes.
I would look for smaller leafed, more petite plants. All personal opnion.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree with all this I never clean the gravel the plants like it to much but as Nordic said you may want to pick a day when you have some time than rearrange things so largest plants are in the back than get some grassy low growers like sag. subulata for the front.The plants look healthy but they are just all mixed up lol me too..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all of you for your advice. In the meantime i have been trimming back the plants, so they are a bit more defined and had a bit of a cleanup.

I am at the moment thinking about what i want the tank to look like, in the meantime i just keep it running an try to get and keep it as healthy as possible. I have discovered some algea growing (not too bad but rather fix it sooner than later), a baby shrimp and a lot of Helena eggs.

Maybe aquascaping is the wrong word, i shall try to find a picture of what i would love (but i am aware this might be a bit much for a beginner).

After a trim and cleanup.

My water seems a bit blue (also without the background) anyone an idea why that might be?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

help, it's a jungle in there

http://exoticfish.club/2016/03/15/5-...y-beautiful-s/

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2013/show76.html

All the tanks that continue up and out with wood, rocks and or plants i find awesome. Long way to go but a girl can dream.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I see you topped up the tank. It is best not to let it get that low.
It causes an increase in dissolved solids. Shrimp like stable conditions, so you may have to do 1 or 2 10% changes per week.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, it was that low because my Bucket was still warming up when i took the picture.

Still figuring out how much and how often to feed them. With the tank came loads and loads of different food and water treatments, but without all the booklets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode