New to planted tanks and my tank looks terrible! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
The brown algae could be diatoms. Which is common in new tanks -you should see how awful my 38 looked during its first month set up. Helps to keep manually removing it and doing water changes. Or get some algae eaters- otos really like that stuff but the also do better in established tanks so it's a tossup. Coral will make you water harder- hopefully your water source is not already high ph.

Are you feeding the plants? I don't see any mention of fertilizers...

Hopefully someone else will chime in here, I'm not an expert!
I dose with potassium and I can buy API leaf zone if it will help. The plants do seem to be growing without it though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Algae Grower

I would try and get some Nerite snails if locally available. They eat algae better than anything I have seen. I owned 3 true SAE's for a long time and they did a good job but honestly Nerites seem to be even better.
If you get SAE's make SURE they are not Chinese algae eaters as they don't eat algae. (search the forum for knowing how to distinguish.) Nerites cannot breed in freshwater so no worries about snail population issues. A combo of amanos and nerites would probably be really effective.
If it's diatoms you can gently rub most broad leaf plants and it will come off. A very soft toothbrush can work wonders (rinse it first and don't use a used one). Those both worked well on my Anubis. var nana and var nana petite.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 PM
vig
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marsch View Post
I dont have access to otos. My options are
1. Buy siamese algae eater and rehome it after a month
2. My lfs has tons of bladder snails.
3. Buy a bn pleco and rehome it.
4. Hope my lfs gets a shipment of ghost shrimp the it occasionally has

Bump: Btw I did try a diy co2 setup but it was never consistent and I was worried it was just causing problems. Can I dip the plants in peroxide to remove the algae? Should I dose with Api leaf zone? Its available at my lfs surprisingly.

P.S. Im in the Philippines so I only have access and no shipping stuff in. Im going to the states in april so I may pick up a co2 system.

You can use a syringe and inject the 3% peroxide on those algae. Peroxide is safe since it will turn into oxygen when it his H2O. My tank was worse than yours it was like having halloween theme.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

I'll try and keep it short, POSITIVES!
coral substrate, increased CaCO3/ gh. Good for invertebrates like snails and shrimp, there shells are predominantly Ca.
Your plants look like money wort and a stem of water wisteria, some consider "hard-water" plants because they can better assimilate Carbon in the form of CaCO3. The Walstad method makes mention of plants ability to use alternate forms of carbon. I'd go with snails, more water changes and a whole lot more plant mass, try sag subulata. floating plants are also cool in the aspect that they remove nutrients from the water but get there co2 from the air. good luck!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Would cambomba be okay? I like the look and its available quite cheap at my lfs.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Algae Grower

Can you get SeaChem Flourish Excel? It will help.

35 Gal Planted Hex
German Blue Rams
Dwarf Neon Gourami
Orange Von Rio Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Oto Cats
Nerite Snails
Amano Shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode